Sony used my idea on the convertible mirror

I was somewhat surprised to see the technology behind these two new cameras, especially since I'd been mentioning a mirror that would change to (near) 100 % transparency.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1008/10082421sonyslta55a33.asp

My point, which wasn't really here is how they could use this to shake up both dSLRs and mirror-less cameras.

Last edited:
Didn't Canon had a SLR with the same type of mirror? I vaguely remember you describing something like this.

Anyway, I think the Fujifilm idea of integrating the Phase Detect sensors into the main sensor itself may be a better way. Advantage being no loss of light.

The Sony method seems more cost effective though.

Didn't Canon had a SLR with the same type of mirror? I vaguely remember you describing something like this.

Anyway, I think the Fujifilm idea of integrating the Phase Detect sensors into the main sensor itself may be a better way. Advantage being no loss of light.

The Sony method seems more cost effective though.

Yes, Canon did have a similar mirror and apparently the results were not all that great.

My idea was using a different kind of process to make the transparent material become solidly mirror-like on demand, something that has been achieved in the laboratory for a while. The cost is the sticking point. Sony's method is much cheaper but the object is translucent, not transparent.

Fujifilm's idea is better overall and would be great. Obviously, if they can do it on a point-and-shoot sensor and still have room for photosites, they can do it on bigger sensors.