Sony US announces NEX-5n fix service to remove the “Click” issue

torak

Sep 4, 2009
There is now an official press release from Sony support US:
“Thank you for your support of Sony products.
We have received reports of a “clicking” sound which may be heard in the audio playback of movies recorded by the NEX-5N camera. This phenomenon occurs if the camera undergoes sudden motion while recording; motion generally inconsistent with smooth video recording. The video is unaffected by this sound.
In accordance with Sony’s policy of continuous product improvement, an adjustment has been developed to reduce the clicking sound resulting from sudden motion during movie recording.
Sony will offer this performance improvement to NEX-5N end users during the period of its limited warranty accompanying the product. Please call 888-868-7392 to arrange for this improvement.”

Hope Sony Singapore will provide this service as well.

Since it's a known problem, I am sure that they will get it fix, just a matter of time and hope that they will do it fast.

Has anyone sent their 5n for fixing yet? If so, what is the turnaround time?

I've emailed Sony Singapore about this problem and hope that you can do to. The direct link to contact them is:
https://www.sony.com.sg/section/contactus

And I've also came out with a template to help you

Hi,
I've recently bought the Nex-5N and noticed that there are some clicking sound when panning the camera regardless if the camera is on or off. The clicking sound also happens without any lens so it must be something in the body that caused it.

There were numerous reports on the internet about this problem and Sony US has acknowledged this problem with a fix. See this link here
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/news-item.pl?news_id=439&mdl=NEX5N

I've called sony store but was surprised the shop people has no idea about this problem. Please let me know if Sony Singapore will honor this same fix and if the detail of such fix has already been passed down to Sony Singapore service centre.

Thank you and have a nice day

actually you all can just check in the camera and tell them the clicking issue during video recording and they will make the adjustments to the camera like what Sony US do

Official announcement might be slower but product adjustment methods should be the same :)

Since they have no idea of such problem, what makes you think they can do adjustments to the camera like what Sony US do?

Hence, I've ask who has actually sent it in and have it fixed?

For all i know, they could hold on to my camera for weeks and come back with "no problem found".. So it is best for them to acknowledge the problem and share the details with US on fixing before sending it in.. It will save time and headache of going down personally.

Since they have no idea of such problem, what makes you think they can do adjustments to the camera like what Sony US do?

For all i know, they could hold on to my camera for weeks and come back with "no problem found".. So it is best for them to acknowledge the problem and share the details with US on fixing before sending it in.. It will save time and headache of going down personally.
Don't you think the repair centers worldwide share the same knowledge base?

Don't you think the repair centers worldwide share the same knowledge base?
How would I know? They are MNC so i believed they must have some ways to send world wide announcements and such on their system.
Say they do have such system in place, it also depends on the people involved to read them, pass down the news and execute them according to their corporate procedure.

In fact the bigger the company, the bigger is their communication gap. Since the clicking noise issue is still considered a small issue, and they are busy looking into the coming Nex7 and the current fire fighting A77 bugs, the news may for such fixes may get lost along the communication line.

Anyway, I am just guessing as I have no idea what they are doing :p

How would I know? They are MNC so i believed they must have some ways to send world wide announcements and such on their system.
Say they do have such system in place, it also depends on the people involved to read them, pass down the news and execute them according to their corporate procedure.

In fact the bigger the company, the bigger is their communication gap. Since the clicking noise issue is still considered a small issue, and they are busy looking into the coming Nex7 and the current fire fighting A77 bugs, the news may for such fixes may get lost along the communication line.

Anyway, I am just guessing as I have no idea what they are doing :p

Well, I don't know either. :) It was just a question. At least I hope they share information like that.
It would be also interesting to know if Sony intends to address the issue on newly produced units.

I don't own a NEX-5N but i know that owners of it can actually send it in for adjustments but you need to be specific as to what you are checking it in for since there is no announcement to refer to

If it doesn't bother you yet, then wait for official announcement before you do anything lor :)

I just like to know if the hardware fix will cause any problem to the camera as the orientation sensor i suppose will be quite inside the body.

Will there be any misalignment of sensor etc?

I've emailed Sony Singapore about this problem and hope that you can do to. The direct link to contact them is:
https://www.sony.com.sg/section/contactus

And I've also came out with a template to help you

I've sent in as well. Hope more 5N owners sent in to Sony Singapore so that they'll take action and offer repair services ASAP.

No need to send anymore email. Just send the set in for "fix". Just curious what the "fix" is and how if it might impact picture quality.

I've sent in as well. Hope more 5N owners sent in to Sony Singapore so that they'll take action and offer repair services ASAP.

Not sure myself which is why I'm asking.

Just as much as many users here, I'm waiting patiently for the "fix" as well so that I can get hold of the "fixed" unit... thus, not too sure about the forum troll part and will appreciate if you do not jump to conclusion.

Yeah, I would like to know too ! ...he is starting to sound like a forum troll !

Not sure myself which is why I'm asking.

Just as much as many users here, I'm waiting patiently for the "fix" as well so that I can get hold of the "fixed" unit... thus, not too sure about the forum troll part and will appreciate if you do not jump to conclusion.
if you do not know what the "click" is about, you can read. the first post already described the problem. you coming into the thread and gave advice on something you do not even know or understand, what does that make u?

Huh?? What I'm not sure about is whether the fix will impact the picture quality as I'm not sure what sort of adjustment Sony will do. Thus, the question.

As for the click, sure I know what that is as I used to own the nex5n until I returned it due to the click!

if you do not know what the "click" is about, you can read. the first post already described the problem. you coming into the thread and gave advice on something you do not even know or understand, what does that make u?

Actually are all 5n bodies affected by the same amount or are there huge differences? Do you have one, rasdeep?

and will appreciate if you do not jump to conclusion.

Sorry if I've "jumped" to conclusion, but HEY ! ...you the one who "JUMPED" first with your post below !

No need to send anymore email. Just send the set in for "fix". Just curious what the "fix" is and how if it might impact picture quality.

btw, I don't own a Nex 5N (so that you don't throw the Sony fanboy title on me !:bsmilie:)