Sony NEX-6 (The "mini NEX-7" about to be announced soon)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are so many people selling their nex 7 on the marketplace, that its a little scary. Almost seems like there might be something wrong with the camera, lols. This is the first version of the hybrid af being released. Having a nex 7, i'd rather wait for the 2nd generation of cameras with the hybrid af or at least the next version of the 7 before upgrading.

Last edited:
There are so many people selling their nex 7 on the marketplace, that its a little scary. Almost seems like there might be something wrong with the camera, lols. This is the first version of the hybrid af being released. Having a nex 7, i'd rather wait for the 2nd generation of cameras with the hybrid af or at least the next version of the 7 before upgrading.

In fact the coming NEX 6 is consider 2nd Gen as the 1st Gen was found in NEX 5R. Correct me if I'm wrong. =)

I guess this is a trend for Sony cameras as new models are out pretty fast thus most owners may just jump into the "upgrading" trends?

For me, I sold my Nex 7 mainly for the noise in the IQ that I can't get use to, even when the photo are taken in normal lighting. There are quite a lot of comparison of the sensor between the Nex 7 and lower end Nex 5N, and most of the users find the sensor of 5N better though the pixel rating is not as high as Nex 7. Thus, the expectation for Nex 6 would hopefully be a better sensor than the Nex 7.

rev_zone said:
In fact the coming NEX 6 is consider 2nd Gen as the 1st Gen was found in NEX 5R. Correct me if I'm wrong. =)

I think should be same gen? 5R replaces 5N, and 6 'replaces' 7. I mean, given the various improvements of 6 over the 7, if 6 had 24mp, it would have been called 8. Lol.

I think should be same gen? 5R replaces 5N, and 6 'replaces' 7. I mean, given the various improvements of 6 over the 7, if 6 had 24mp, it would have been called 8. Lol.

Precisely, I guess it was named as 6 mainly because it got lower mp so can't over-ride the 7 but they can simply name is as 7S just like iPhone4 came out 4S. :bsmilie:

i don't think the 6 is meant to replace the 7.

after all, the 6 doesn't have a 24MP sensor, or tri-navi controls.

those who keep jumping and buying newer gear are those who will never (sadly to say) improve much in terms of photography.

I agree with you, =D for NEX 5R and NEX 6 is something like iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S, a little improvement we can see and a EVF on NEX-6(just like a flash on iPhone 4S).

I think those two consider 1st Generation since they using the same sensor, =) the next NEX will be the 2nd generation, looking forward for a 24.7 APS-C with Hybrid. (which i believe Sony will create one~)

Nex 7 will never be replace by nex 6, guy pls do a full compare u will know that nex 7 still a top end model in nex system. When u want to shoot sunset and want to be in 8" photo size, will u rather use a 16mp or 24mp? Don't understand why most people keep saying nex 6 is the replacement for nex 7 when the cam is not out yet to really compare it urself.

Nex 7 will never be replace by nex 6, guy pls do a full compare u will know that nex 7 still a top end model in nex system. When u want to shoot sunset and want to be in 8" photo size, will u rather use a 16mp or 24mp? Don't understand why most people keep saying nex 6 is the replacement for nex 7 when the cam is not out yet to really compare it urself.

In terms of technological advancement, NEX 6 really 'replaces' (notice the inverted commas in my previous post too) NEX 7, due to newer and better sensor technologies and features (wifi, apps etc... things that pros might dismiss readily but it's a technological advancement that we cannot ignore ). Do note that technological advancement is independent of whether it's top-end or not. Comparing 6 and 7 is like, a not-so-good-analogous-example, Canon 6D and 5D2. 6D is newer and better in alot of ways, but in terms of line-up, 6D is still 'entry level' and is below the 5D series. 5D2 still have certain features that betters the 6D. But the gap in line-up between 6 and 7 is so narrow, that its newer features (and price) are making people feel that it replaces the 7.

Of course, those are just spec sheet comparison. We don't have the actual cam to make comparison, but at least one famous reviewer Steve Huff have felt that his pre-production NEX 6 is better than the 7.

If you need to make large prints, of course the 7 would be better for high MP low ISO performance.

In terms of technological advancement, NEX 6 really 'replaces' (notice the inverted commas in my previous post too) NEX 7, due to newer and better sensor technologies and features (wifi, apps etc... things that pros might dismiss readily but it's a technological advancement that we cannot ignore ). Do note that technological advancement is independent of whether it's top-end or not. Comparing 6 and 7 is like, a not-so-good-analogous-example, Canon 6D and 5D2. 6D is newer and better in alot of ways, but in terms of line-up, 6D is still 'entry level' and is below the 5D series. 5D2 still have certain features that betters the 6D. But the gap in line-up between 6 and 7 is so narrow, that its newer features (and price) are making people feel that it replaces the 7.

Of course, those are just spec sheet comparison. We don't have the actual cam to make comparison, but at least one famous reviewer Steve Huff have felt that his pre-production NEX 6 is better than the 7.

If you need to make large prints, of course the 7 would be better for high MP low ISO performance.

On his web side SteveHuffPhoto.com there a post on comment line 27, he said....

Steve Huff says:
October 11, 2012 at 11:14 pm

I always put video quality with samples in my reviews. This is not my review so the video is not here yet. WHen I review the camera the video samples will be with it just as it was with the 5n, 7, etc. Thx

So is this reviews make by himself or he post it up for someone? or this user is just call Steve Huff rather himself?

Sry guy, very blur after reading his post & comment.

Steve Huff says:

I always put video quality with samples in my reviews. This is not my review so the video is not here yet. WHen I review the camera the video samples will be with it just as it was with the 5n, 7, etc. Thx

So is this reviews make by himself or he post it up for someone? or this user is just call Steve Huff rather himself?

After 11months of following Steve Huff, i found that he did the same thing on NEX-7, Sony asked him to review the prototype of NEX-6 and given a time period like 3days?~~ so that his assignment and he need to share the prototype with others reviewer, until he really get himself a owned NEX-6, those video review is not really what he think that is his review.

O Ya, i saw some people comment on the new 10-16mm lens which got pink color on the corner when shooting at 10mm

SonyUserforum - Beispielbilder SEL-1018 an NEX7

After 11months of following Steve Huff, i found that he did the same thing on NEX-7, Sony asked him to review the prototype of NEX-6 and given a time period like 3days?~~ so that his assignment and he need to share the prototype with others reviewer, until he really get himself a owned NEX-6, those video review is not really what he think that is his review.

O Ya, i saw some people comment on the new 10-16mm lens which got pink color on the corner when shooting at 10mm

On the NEX 7 sensor? I am not surprised...

On the NEX 7 sensor? I am not surprised...

Steve Huff says:

From the english, I would think he meant that the particular blog post, which is a first look, is not a (full) review (which would include video), hence there was no video (in this first look post). So technically, he has not conducted a review, although he had played with the prototype NEX 6 and posted sample images and made some comments :)

Sad, i was waiting for the SEL10-16mm lens, think i will get the SAL11-18mm lens seen i own the LA-EA2 adapter.

2nd gen because it got released a few days later? Of course... ;)

Why is it important whether Sony's marketing decides the NEX-6 is the successor of the NEX-7 or not? Everybody just decides for himself if it's the better choice or not.

Last edited:
Actually i'm waiting to see how much of an actual improvement in autofocus speed there actually will be. if not really that much maybe i'll pickup an additional nex 7 body for cheap hopefully.

Regarding tech advancement, its so much easier to get a decent photo now compared to the past. Face detection makes such a huge difference. Even my 7-8yr old kids can take decent photos even in difficult lighting situations. People will be in good focus even if there are objets in front of them. Exposure will be great even if its very bright behind the person. Of course part of the background would be blown, but that can be easily fixed in lightroom as long as the person is exposed well. Not sure what kind of settings to use for a particular scene? Just go to scene mode and dial it in. Difficult lighting situation? Switch to auto hdr. Its amazing what technology can do nowadays.

Actually i'm waiting to see how much of an actual improvement in autofocus speed there actually will be. if not really that much maybe i'll pickup an additional nex 7 body for cheap hopefully.

Regarding tech advancement, its so much easier to get a decent photo now compared to the past. Face detection makes such a huge difference. Even my 7-8yr old kids can take decent photos even in difficult lighting situations. People will be in good focus even if there are objets in front of them. Exposure will be great even if its very bright behind the person. Of course part of the background would be blown, but that can be easily fixed in lightroom as long as the person is exposed well. Not sure what kind of settings to use for a particular scene? Just go to scene mode and dial it in. Difficult lighting situation? Switch to auto hdr. Its amazing what technology can do nowadays.

i read some comments on hk and tw forum,the focus is no much improvement and now only selected lens can use the new focus function.

Status
Not open for further replies.