Sony launches DSLR-A850 full-frame digital SLR out 09 Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need to correct this, and misconception by many, Sony is not new in the market:
1. Sony has been making dslr sensors since the beginning of the dslr era.
2. Sony took over Minolta SLR/DSLR team of engineers and technology. Sony basically re-branded and improves some of the existing lense and camera. That why you can still use old Minolta A-Mount lense.
3. Minolta existed almost as long as Nikon and Canon to make SLR.

Minor quibble... I think one should not say Sony is not new to the DSLR market. I think they are new to the market, since they have little or next to no market research or R&D nor a department for DSLRs before they bought over KM. I think we should say that SONY did not start from scratch in the DSLR market even though they were new to the market... they had the expertise of the KM engineers to tap on for their Alpha line.

Minor quibble... I think one should not say Sony is not new to the DSLR market. I think they are new to the market, since they have little or next to no market research or R&D nor a department for DSLRs before they bought over KM. I think we should say that SONY did not start from scratch in the DSLR market even though they were new to the market... they had the expertise of the KM engineers to tap on for their Alpha line.

And they had years of DSLR market research thanks to their #1 Sensor customer, Nikon.

I am now waiting for Tokina to bring out an Alpha mount 10-17mm fisheye then I shall buy and modify it. I would hate to find that the A850 only worked in cropped sensor mode with it. If Tokina don't bring out an Alpha 10-17mm I shall buy a Canon FF. I can wait 2 months, then I shall buy in KL or perhaps Singapore.

I am now waiting for Tokina to bring out an Alpha mount 10-17mm fisheye then I shall buy and modify it. I would hate to find that the A850 only worked in cropped sensor mode with it. If Tokina don't bring out an Alpha 10-17mm I shall buy a Canon FF. I can wait 2 months, then I shall buy in KL or perhaps Singapore.

Is there rumours about Tokina coming out with Alpha mount ? Even if there isn't, think Tokina should seriously consider doing that since Alpha is catching on. They shouldn't miss out the pie currently enjoyed by Sigma and Tamron.

And they had years of DSLR market research thanks to their #1 Sensor customer, Nikon.

Not so sure if it extended to more than just sensor technology... cos other aspects like metering, focusing modules, electronics, etc would be proprietary and secret... Sony would seem to be a foundry for sensors laying down the lithography for the circuit designs that Nikon patents... so I would think that only the sensor aspect they would have much experience but other aspects of building DSLRs they might have little to no access...

Not so sure if it extended to more than just sensor technology... cos other aspects like metering, focusing modules, electronics, etc would be proprietary and secret... Sony would seem to be a foundry for sensors laying down the lithography for the circuit designs that Nikon patents... so I would think that only the sensor aspect they would have much experience but other aspects of building DSLRs they might have little to no access...

No, Nikon does not hold the patents. Sony designs the sensors and the accompanying motherboards. That's why both the A700 and the D300 had near-identical I/O ports.

No, Nikon does not hold the patents. Sony designs the sensors and the accompanying motherboards. That's why both the A700 and the D300 had near-identical I/O ports.

I see... but the Nikon engine would be proprietary? That's the processing part that is important in how the data from the sensor is read and then demosaiced to form the image right?

Is there rumours about Tokina coming out with Alpha mount ? Even if there isn't, think Tokina should seriously consider doing that since Alpha is catching on. They shouldn't miss out the pie currently enjoyed by Sigma and Tamron.

Tokina has enough financial troubles of its own... I think the parent company Hoya has some difficulty...

Tokina has enough financial troubles of its own... I think the parent company Hoya has some difficulty...

Really ? :( Looks like peteloud may go to C camp eventually :)

where u heard the news from?

I see... but the Nikon engine would be proprietary? That's the processing part that is important in how the data from the sensor is read and then demosaiced to form the image right?

Yup, the processing engine (like the sony Bionz engines) are different. But the base is the same.

I guess Canon can counter by dropping price of 5D mk2, but maintain a light premium due to it's video function & branding.
But Nikon doesn't have anything to match the A850.

I guess Canon can counter by dropping price of 5D mk2, but maintain a light premium due to it's video function & branding.
But Nikon doesn't have anything to match the A850.

They will sure start to drop price or release new cheaper FF camera body. Is just a matter of time.

My favouring a Sony FF over Canon was significantly influenced by this article.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/antarctica-2009-worked.shtml
About 2/3 of the way down there is a summary of camera failures. It will delight you Sony owners.

I can not remember where I saw a reference to Tokina bringing out an Alpha range before the end of the year, but I do remember that it looked like quality information. However it's all quiet on that front at the moment. But I do need that 10-17mm lens for panoramics.

Pete

About 2/3 of the way down there is a summary of camera failures. It will delight you Sony owners.

I can not remember where I saw a reference to Tokina bringing out an Alpha range before the end of the year, but I do remember that it looked like quality information. However it's all quiet on that front at the moment. But I do need that 10-17mm lens for panoramics.

Pete

That article was posted by MR quite some while ago... although I don't think many of us at the equator here would have an opportunity to subject our A900s to sub-zero conditions with serious condensation issues... nevertheless a good read...

Pete

Someone on DPreview emailed Tokina and they actually replied, stating they were preparing.

Someone on DPreview emailed Tokina and they actually replied, stating they were preparing.

Wow!!! More choice! Hopefully a 24-105 f/4 type from them? Hoping to step up but f/2.8 won't give that kind of focal range... so compromise the aperture range a bit... here's to hoping lar...

Status
Not open for further replies.