Sony buys over KM

Status
Not open for further replies.

wind30

Deregistered
Mar 14, 2004
the latest news is that Sony has bought over KM.

What does this bodes for Nikon who relies on Sony for the sensors? Will you buy critical components from your competitor?

Nikon better has a second source for their sensors.... or they are in trouble.

Worry too much. Why not spend the effort to worry about getting a good shot?

Why worry for Nikon when you're not in their marketing & sales team? If you want, write a letter of suggestion in to Nikon!

If you don't know the address, upload the document and I'll send it in for you FOC! :)

No worries.... I don't think Sony will be unhappy if their components are used outside of their own cameras :) It's a high margin business and they'll be happy to continue.

In fact, besides Nikon, they also supply sensors to Canon, Fujifilm, Konica Minolta and Olympus:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0510/05100701sony_ccds.asp

wind30 said:

What does this bodes for Nikon who relies on Sony for the sensors? Will you buy critical components from your competitor?

Think about it, the KM (AND Sony dSLR) users might just be quicker to experience CZ AF lenses in their dSLR than any one else. I won't be surprised KM/Sony users saying "huh? Z wat F CZ? Aren't they MF?"

Its also sad to see:

Minolta > Konica Minolta (a mouthful) > Sony

Its a pity. :(

litefoot said:
Think about it, the KM (AND Sony dSLR) users might just be quicker to experience CZ AF lenses in their dSLR than any one else. I won't be surprised KM/Sony users saying "huh? Z wat F CZ? Aren't they MF?"
Think about it, now that Sony has acquired KM's digital camera, I don't think they will use Carl Zeiss anymore, or will they?

merger is the latest trend mah

may be KM & Sony can merge with others DSLR makers like Nikon, Pentax, Oly and fujifilm, then make a super DSLR to fight against Canon

lsisaxon said:
Think about it, now that Sony has acquired KM's digital camera, I don't think they will use Carl Zeiss anymore, or will they?

Well, could be or they might co-exist, like Samsung, some models are using Schneider optics. CZ will be the worrying party I guess.

lsisaxon said:

are they going to use memory stick and sell their camera at high premium like other Sony digicam?

Wai said:
merger is the latest trend mah

may be KM & Sony can merge with others DSLR makers like Nikon, Pentax, Oly and fujifilm, then make a super DSLR to fight against Canon

I dun think this is really a merger. KM tranferred their photography related assets to Sony. KM is still around focusing on other biz. Doesn't seem like a biz sold off to Sony since the annoucement that I read did not disclose any figures in the deal.

Wai said:
are they going to use memory stick and sell their camera at high premium like other Sony digicam?

ARGH! MS!!!!

Eh... how come this thread is in Nikon sub-forum?

litefoot said:
ARGH! MS!!!!
I have a KM compact which already has both SD and MS slots. So it was something which KM (then still Minolta) had predicted.

SKM... ? jus like wat happen to handphone maker Ericsson.. rename to Sony Ericsson.. if the upcoming DSLR is brand as Sony Konica Minolta.. well, is it too long..

DT_ said:
SKM... ? jus like wat happen to handphone maker Ericsson.. rename to Sony Ericsson.. if the upcoming DSLR is brand as Sony Konica Minolta.. well, is it too long..
maybe sonykonolta :think:

:bsmilie:

wind30 said:

You are not exactly right. It's a collaboration between Sony and Nikon. At this moment Nikon source for what is right for them. Nikon has their own LBCAST sensor which they use solely in D2h/s. ;)

You'll likely see Pentax and Olympus going the same way soon unless they come out something revolutionary that challenge the existing 2 superpower. Otherwise, it is going to be history for them. ;p

Maybe the world has appetite for only 2 DSLR company in the long run. Just like Intel and AMD. :think:

my gut feel is that KM will sell their body unit to Sony but they still maintain their lens division.

Status
Not open for further replies.