Sony announces RX10 mkII, RX100 IV, A7R II

The A7R II is years ahead of canon now. Refreshing their lineup every 1 year instead of canon's 4-5 years.

Just look at 5D3 vs A7R. 5D4 is like only coming next year but sony has refresh.

I'm just waiting for their lens before i switch. Especially the 24-70 F2.8 ... unless sigma beat them to it.

*Final note on the A7R II, 120fps at only 720p is disappointing for videographers.

If Canon were priced cheaper, it will be understandable. But....
XC10 is 3 times the price of the RX10 an still does not have the RX10's
constant f2.8, no EVF, no XLR expandability. no zoom rocker, no aperture ring.
Canon C-log really worth the extra $2K?

I heard the conspiracy theory. I didn't believe but it does make sense now.

Each of the electronics giant will be given a period of time to excel. What looks like competition is actually a pre-arranged agreement.

Canon won with the 5D w movie function, then the Nikon w the D800, Sony comes in w the mirrorless. Give another 3-5 years, it will be over taken by 'one of them'. In such a way, everybody gets to 'survive'.

I heard the conspiracy theory. I didn't believe but it does make sense now.

Each of the electronics giant will be given a period of time to excel. What looks like competition is actually a pre-arranged agreement.

Canon won with the 5D w movie function, then the Nikon w the D800, Sony comes in w the mirrorless. Give another 3-5 years, it will be over taken by 'one of them'. In such a way, everybody gets to 'survive'.
Interesting ...

Explains a lot of quirks of each brand like:
Why won't Sony put a touchscreen on their cameras?
Why won't Panasonic put a headphone port on any camera except their GH range?
Why was Nikon offering only the 24p framerate for so long?
Why did Olympus ignore the PAL market for so long?
WHY CAN"T I HAVE ALL THE FEATURES I WANT IN ONE CAMERA!!!???

According to this review
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/0995267996/sony-announces-rx10-ii
Both the RX10 II and the RX100 IV will shoot S-log2 and S-Gamut!!
I feel bad for anyone who just bought a RX10/RX100 recently.:(
That said, will I feel like a fool this time next year when the RX10 III ships with a ISO 409000 sensor?
[video=youtube;NdiRFFl1ZDw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdiRFFl1ZDw[/video]

Last edited:
Explains a lot of quirks of each brand like:
Why won't Sony put a touchscreen on their cameras?
Why won't Panasonic put a headphone port on any camera except their GH range?
Why was Nikon offering only the 24p framerate for so long?
Why did Olympus ignore the PAL market for so long?
WHY CAN"T I HAVE ALL THE FEATURES I WANT IN ONE CAMERA!!!???

Except for Panasonic GH4 & GX7, why can't I record continuos until my SD card full ? Why restrict my movie continuos recording to only 29min ? ... :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Except for Panasonic GH4 & GX7, why can't I record continuos until my SD card full ? Why restrict my movie continuos recording to only 29min ? ... :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Sensor protection from overheating bcos sensor was made for stills not video recording. That's why videocam for broadcast grade is much more expansive bcos of the sensor technology for long hours continuous recording beyond 7 hours continuously.

Yeah Rodney, Sony has a reputation of screwing their own users! I have many Sony products! I am screwed !

I also got screwed by Sony with VG30 ... now no more development for VG series ... last time Sony was marketing this VG30 so aggressively

VG20/30 is great value for money actually. If you have one, be grateful. I regret selling mine. Now I can't do long recording with a large sensor.

Yes Rodney, but isn't better if Sony continue to do research and development of this VG series rather than totally abandon it after marketing it as if it is the future of Sony ...

I think Sony has an array of technology. They won't write off any technology unless they sell of certain manufacturing plants.

You can be sure they haven't forgotten it. Most probably it will emerge in another form or called in a different name I.e FS7? Haha...

VG900 is still in production but it's a too big for my liking. At thet size, I'll rather buy the JVC LS300.
VG30 is more my cup of tea. Both are in the consumer range.
FS7 comes with a pro price tag so it's not a VG replacement. There is still hope for the VG but perhaps with another nomenclature since the NEX prefix has been discontinued.

Forgot to mention the Sony RX10 II has 1000 FPS slow-mo ...

Suddenly 120fps is like a retro tech.

Just not sure if 1000fps is 720p or 1080p. Anyways, its crazy good and finally something cheaper to get super slow-mo other than the lousy quality go-pro OR the still overpriced FS700 which is 5 years old.

[video=youtube;hDI-hE_5GQw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hDI-hE_5GQw[/video]

Last edited:
Forgot to mention the Sony RX10 II has 1000 FPS slow-mo ...

Suddenly 120fps is like a retro tech.

Just not sure if 1000fps is 720p or 1080p. Anyways, its crazy good and finally something cheaper to get super slow-mo other than the lousy quality go-pro OR the still overpriced FS700 which is 5 years old.

[video=youtube;hDI-hE_5GQw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hDI-hE_5GQw[/video]

Got excited for a while, then I realized it's not true HD, but upscaled. Hmmm... it looks usable viewing in the scaled down player, but selecting 1080 setting and watching full screen, footage looks kinda soft & mushy :cry:

<Sensor Readout Number of effective pixels>
Quality Priority:
240fps/250fps (1,824x1,026),&#12288;
480fps/500fps (1,676x566),&#12288;
960fps/1000fps (1,136x384)

Shoot Time Priority:
240fps/250fps (1,676x566)
480fps/500fps (1,136x384)
960fps/1000fps (800x270)

Last edited: