Sony a99 Mark II

kandinsky

Staff member
Apr 26, 2008
5139115307.jpg

https://www.dpreview.com/news/5855300360/sony-announces-42mp-a99-mark-ii-with-5-axis-stabilization

Sony has announced the a99 II, an 42MP A-mount SLT camera to mark the tenth anniversary of the Alpha series. It features 5-axis image stabilization and 4K video capture with no pixel binning. The camera will sell for $3200/€3600, body only, when it arrives in November.

The camera will be capable of shooting at 12 frames per second with AF/AE tracking and 8 fps with 'minimal' EVF blackout. It has 79 AF points on its dedicated PDAF sensor, which work in conjunction with 399 on-sensor PDAF points to create what Sony calls 'Hybrid Cross AF points.' The system is able to focus down to -4EV.

The camera's 5-axis image stabilization is rated to 4.5EV by CIPA testing. Its shutter is rated to over 300,000 shots.

The camera's 42.MP sensor (most likely similar to the one found on the a7R II) uses BSI-CMOS technology with copper wiring for ultra-fast readout. The camera also has a newly-developed front-end LSI (processor) to cope with the speed of the sensor.

Body-wise, the a99 II is 8% smaller than its predecessor and is made of magnesium alloy. A newly redesigned shutter has a lifespan of 300,000 exposures. It has a large XGA OLED viewfinder with a magnification of 0.78x. A fluorine coating helps to keep fingerprints and oil off of the outer element. Its 3" (non-touchscreen) LCD display can tilt in 3-axis. The 'silent Multi-Controller' on the front of the camera now offers a click on/off feature. As with the a99, the Mark II has dual SD card slots. In an act of mercy, Sony has also redesigned the a99 II's menu system.

Video is, of course, also a big deal. The a99 II can capture 4K at 100Mbps (using XAVC S) with full sensor read-out and no pixel binning. A Super 35 option is also available, with 1.8x oversampling. A 'Slow and Quick' mode lets users jump between 1 and 120 fps at the push of a button. All of the capture tools you'd expect are available, including zebra patterns, time code, S-Log2 and S-Log3 profiles and 4:2:2 output over HDMI.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/5855300360/sony-announces-42mp-a99-mark-ii-with-5-axis-stabilization

huge upgrade from a99 and now looks like a77 body (same vertical grip and slimmer body than previous a99)

Still using the same battery as A850 which is a + for me and also almost 400 shots, good too. My hands are big and after having the A7R, I don't like E-mount so much. Even with an adapter, big lens on A7R still not well balanaced for me. Now with this new camera, I might consider about it. If price range is about 4.5k, can consider as with grip, near to 5k mark. Overall a huge upgrade from A99 mk1.

Darn... I just that A99 one year back... if I had known this was going to launch I would have waited for this... sianz... this is so much better than the A99... I can't quite stand the long black-out time in the EVF, and also the long read and write times...

Darn... I just that A99 one year back... if I had known this was going to launch I would have waited for this... sianz... this is so much better than the A99... I can't quite stand the long black-out time in the EVF, and also the long read and write times...

I am wondering why you go for A99 after it been launched for so long. If second hand, maybe time to sell it. Anyway, mk2 might be 4499 range, plus grip, hopes less than 5k, heh heh! :D

Dimension (W x H x D mm)
A77ii 142.6 x 104.2 x 80.9
A99ii 142.6 x 104.2 x 76.1

Even bit smaller than a77ii ...

I am wondering why you go for A99 after it been launched for so long. If second hand, maybe time to sell it. Anyway, mk2 might be 4499 range, plus grip, hopes less than 5k, heh heh! :D

Cos my A900 finally was too long in the tooth... so I waited and waited for a A99 successor but it never came... sianz...

Cos my A900 finally was too long in the tooth... so I waited and waited for a A99 successor but it never came... sianz...

During my 2014 Europe trip, I went for a7r. But still hold on to my A850 and lenses. Now A99 mk2 out, hopes worth for me to get it and not after some time, a99 mk3 with new features out. But for current one, more than enough for me. I might bring all 3 bodies since sharing the lenses for next trip. Plus I more into time lapse, 24mp is more than enough for me. A99mk2 will be more for sport and wildlife areas. Maybe can consider Hudson bay for polar bears after that.

The chase is endless. I'm using the a99, and am excited at the A99ii, but will hold back for awhile as Sony prices are known to drop like a rock. A99 even prior to A99ii launch can find for 1.2k or less lol. IMO no point cheong for best camera unless u pro or current camera don't meet your needs.

The chase is endless. I'm using the a99, and am excited at the A99ii, but will hold back for awhile as Sony prices are known to drop like a rock. A99 even prior to A99ii launch can find for 1.2k or less lol. IMO no point cheong for best camera unless u pro or current camera don't meet your needs.

True enough. I see how things go. Still need to save up for it and other things. See which one more important lor. But I still retaining A7r as I just got a wide manual lens for it, more for landscape as it's lighter. I am keen to get A99 mk2 cause I am wishing for a high FPS FF from Sony but only A77 series and it's only APSC which is good at some point. If wait, maybe for another year to see what Sony is up to, by then, A99 mk2 also seems like not worth to get if next model having more newer features than it, heh heh! ;p

True enough. I see how things go. Still need to save up for it and other things. See which one more important lor. But I still retaining A7r as I just got a wide manual lens for it, more for landscape as it's lighter. I am keen to get A99 mk2 cause I am wishing for a high FPS FF from Sony but only A77 series and it's only APSC which is good at some point. If wait, maybe for another year to see what Sony is up to, by then, A99 mk2 also seems like not worth to get if next model having more newer features than it, heh heh! ;p

????

" If wait, maybe for another year to see what Sony is up to, by then, A99 mk2 also seems like not worth to get if next model having more newer features than it"

Then you can just wait forever n dont get anything at all. Because nothing is worth. Because next/new model will keep coming out..

????

" If wait, maybe for another year to see what Sony is up to, by then, A99 mk2 also seems like not worth to get if next model having more newer features than it"

Then you can just wait forever n dont get anything at all. Because nothing is worth. Because next/new model will keep coming out..

Because I not going for tour till 2018 as it's a month trip and I am saving up for the trip. Therefore, getting the a99 mk2 might be a bit too early for it. Warranty expired, I still haven't got for the trip. Just like a7r, I brought it and came a7r mk2 announcement, but still ok as latter cost too much for me. Ha ha!

I am pleasantly surprised!

Though my A99 still works very well, I would be glad to pick the A99II as well.
I really missed the response and size from the A77 body I had back then. Glad the A99II is of the same size.

Let's hope Sony is serious about the continuation of the A-mount and this is not just fan-service or a last hurray.

I am pleasantly surprised!

Though my A99 still works very well, I would be glad to pick the A99II as well.
I really missed the response and size from the A77 body I had back then. Glad the A99II is of the same size.

Let's hope Sony is serious about the continuation of the A-mount and this is not just fan-service or a last hurray.

The A99 handles like a dream... but it's really too heavy with the CZ24-70 lens... so I seldom use it now... take it out for critical shoots... and cos of that I am not too familiar with the interface already... a bit sianz... the NEX-6 that I have is too far away in terms of features and ease of use compared to a full-fledged DSLR... a bit caught in between lor... the new A6500 is so expensive... these days, can't spend too much on cameras already... hai...

Pricing is out. Rrp is 4099. Wait for review first. Not all lenses support the hybrid focusing system. Hope they will fix it if can.

Looks like only the Sony lenses are confirmed can use the full AF, the rest maybe after patches. The list is out apparently..need to find it.

The RAW file is almost 90MB, but the USB port still 2.0! I just transferred files from my external HDD via USB 2.0, slow on transfer and viewing. End of 2017, announced A99 mk3 with usb 3.0, touch screen and 15 fps etc, I sure faint if brought current body! haha!

The RAW file is almost 90MB, but the USB port still 2.0! I just transferred files from my external HDD via USB 2.0, slow on transfer and viewing. End of 2017, announced A99 mk3 with usb 3.0, touch screen and 15 fps etc, I sure faint if brought current body! haha!

Oh no, such highend camera still uses 15 years old technology...
A7 series typically can hit only 30-40MB/s write speed with USB2.0. No point to put faster card?

http://alikgriffin.com/blog/dec/02/best-sd-memory-card-sony-a7-and-a7r

USB 2.0 has nothing to do with the write speed(during photo taking).. Only the transfer from camera to tether or camera to laptop/pc