Sony A7R III + 100-400mm + 1.4 or 2x TCs or with Sigma 150-600mm + MC 11?

scml1961

Jan 4, 2011
I am wondering if anyone can share their experience using the above for birding. Autofocus performance and IQ. I am currently using a Canon 60D + 100-400mm L IS II rig. Tried using the 1.4 Mk II but can’t get good results. I find that even with the 1.6x crop on the Canon, I am still too far for birding. I am thinking of switching over to a Sony system and am wondering whether the additional mp will help with cropping. I know I will lose some reach on the Sony if I use the native 100-400mm G master + 1.4TC. I read that the Sony autofocus is good to f8 so any experience with the 2X TC on the 100-400mm (autofocus and IQ) would be appreciated. I was also contemplating sticking with the Canon but upgrading to an 80D and a 1.4TC MK III.

Add on the 1.4x or 2x TC will slow down the focus speed and reduce image quality. Birdings required quick and accurate equipment. Non-stop changing equipment simply not a good idea. Whether it is Nikon, Canon or Sony, all have their own strengths and weaknesses, base on my 10 over years of birding experience, fixed-focus lens 500mm f4 or 600mm f4 with 1.4x TC is the perfect combination, by This is what Sony lack of.

Thanks KS. Unfortunately, Budget doesn’t permit getting a Long prime.

Thanks KS. Unfortunately, Budget doesn’t permit getting a Long prime.

Why not the Sigma or Tamron 150-600? They will give you the 600mm focal length which is probably similar or not too much worse than cropping the 100-400 images.

Using a TC with a zoom will not get you good image sharpness. They are really designed for primes. Since you are willing to change systems, for a beginning birder, I think a M43 system works the best. You get reach and depth of field. Image quality in good light is excellent, but if you are shooting in the jungle, there will be compromises.

I'd suggest you look at the Panasonic G9 and 100-400 lens. Because you get a 2x crop factor, you will have 800mm 6.3 and excellent autofocus. I actually use another system, a EM1 Mk2 with a 300F4 and 1.4TC. Its a tad sharper, and you get 840mm F 5.6, but a little harder to handle for a beginning birder because of the use of a prime.

Last edited: