Sony A55

pt657

Oct 5, 2010
Hi all
I am new and now using D90 with 70-300 VR lens for birds shooting, wonder should I buy A55 that have the capability of 10 fps.

Need some advise from anyone using this model, is this a good cam for birds shooting?

Appreciate your help.

do a search of A55 around clubsnap, you'll get tons of info, do take note of the cost of switching cam, if your D90 does not restrict you in anyway then theres not need to change.. what ever it is, the choice is yours to make..

Welcome to CS . . . :)

is there a need for 10 fps for birding ?

D90 got 3D tracking which maybe more suitable in my opinion. ;)

Hi all
I am new and now using D90 with 70-300 VR lens for birds shooting, wonder should I buy A55 that have the capability of 10 fps.

Need some advise from anyone using this model, is this a good cam for birds shooting?

Appreciate your help.

Are you really shooting to a point where a slower fps is restricting you?

oh.....bros

Thanks for response. By the way, forgot to mention that I have got a Sony 500mm mirror Reflex Lens with me and it was bought for my A550 for birds shooting.

but now, my brother told over my A550 and I left the 500 MRL in the dry cabinet. This is why I thought of getting the A55 so that I can continue using that lens beside my D90 with 70-300. 500mm MRL have more reach and :eek: 10fps.

Thank you ya..... please help my decision ( Just finished reading 1-18 thread for A55)

Thanks again.

if i have the cash, i will... :D
i dont mind to have 2 capable bodies.. ;)

or u might want to wait for A77

if i have the cash, i will... :D
i dont mind to have 2 capable bodies.. ;)

or u might want to wait for A77

What is A77 ? Is this a replacement for Sony 700 ?

Are you really shooting to a point where a slower fps is restricting you?

Bros Senior,

I knewn you are experience as I've read most of your answers.
Actually the present 4.5fps on D90, I can live with it as only some action missing which is OK for me too.

I real concern is photo quality (IQ), I realise that most of my photo taken if the subject is quite a distant away with 70-300mm and after cropping, the image is not sharp. So I am also wonder what is I buy a Sony A850 FF with my 500mm mirror reflex lens, will the IQ improve and better, sharper? I don't like Sigma 50-500mm 2kg is too heavy for me.

I cannot afford Nikon D3s or Canon 1D, 5D to expensive. many month no lunch and have to live with bread.

Thank you in advance for your advise to my doubt.

since its not fast enough for you, give the a55 a try then.. im sure you'll love the 10fps since u got the 500mm lens as well.

Bros Senior,

I knewn you are experience as I've read most of your answers.
Actually the present 4.5fps on D90, I can live with it as only some action missing which is OK for me too.

I real concern is photo quality (IQ), I realise that most of my photo taken if the subject is quite a distant away with 70-300mm and after cropping, the image is not sharp. So I am also wonder what is I buy a Sony A850 FF with my 500mm mirror reflex lens, will the IQ improve and better, sharper? I don't like Sigma 50-500mm 2kg is too heavy for me.

I cannot afford Nikon D3s or Canon 1D, 5D to expensive. many month no lunch and have to live with bread.

Thank you in advance for your advise to my doubt.

If you want reach, the A55 + 500mm mirror is a good combo. I dare to say the A55 is even better than the A850 for your purpose, mainly because of its (A55) high pixel density, giving you lots of cropping power.

if you get the A850, you will lose both range as well as fps speed. which is not a very good thing if you are going birding. so its either the A55, or wait for the A77, which might take long.

If you want reach, the A55 + 500mm mirror is a good combo. I dare to say the A55 is even better than the A850 for your purpose, mainly because of its (A55) high pixel density, giving you lots of cropping power.

Titan10k bros!!

Thanks for your advise, I have got a quote today from Parisilk for A55 body alone for $1060 b4 GST.

Hope this is a best price.

Thanks

Titan10k bros!!

Thanks for your advise, I have got a quote today from Parisilk for A55 body alone for $1060 b4 GST.

Hope this is a best price.

Thanks

Why not ask the other recommended shops?

Why not ask the other recommended shops?

Bros Rashkae,
Yes will do, I will bw going to SLR -Ray Lim & Cathay to check price again as MS Color is too far from the West.

Cos, I am buying a tripot too on monday: Manfrotto 190CXPro4 with 804RC2 head.

Those can't show anything. You have to mount the 500 mirror on both cameras, take something really far away, then compare the result, to see which suits you the most. A55 shouldn't have much problem beating A850 in this test, i believe.

oh.....bros

Thanks for response. By the way, forgot to mention that I have got a Sony 500mm mirror Reflex Lens with me and it was bought for my A550 for birds shooting.

If you're firing 10fps at a static bird with that f8 lens, it shouldn't be a problem.

...the trick would be capturing BIF ! ...even at 10fps, 1/1000s and f4 on the A55 its still quite a challenge getting good sharp, well composed shots. :bsmilie:

If you're firing 10fps at a static bird with that f8 lens, it shouldn't be a problem.

...the trick would be capturing BIF ! ...even at 10fps, 1/1000s and f4 on the A55 its still quite a challenge getting good sharp, well composed shots. :bsmilie:

TS, to capture birds in flight, you need very fast shutter speeds and good af system.

Whether the A55 with mirror lens meets your needs is really up to your expectations.