Sony A55 & A33 DSLR Camera Not Suited For Tropical Climates

kohck

Jan 23, 2006
There was a very good reason why the Sony A55 and A33 camera launches were set against a snowy backdrop. According to the Sony Japan website, both DSLR shooters have overheating issues when it comes to video recording.

According to Sony, the A55 and A33 can't keep their cool for more than 11 minutes when recording video at a temperature of 20 degrees Celsius with Image Stabilization switched on. As a matter of fact, the Sony A55 overheats in just under 9 minutes with IS turned on (with IS off you will get the maximum 30 minutes provided the weather remains at a cool 20 degrees Celsius).

This poses as a serious problem in tropical climates where the weather is generally in the 25 to 35 degrees Celsius range. With those odds against you, it may be difficult to get more than 5 minutes of solid video recording.

So in case you are considering purchasing either one of these Sony Alpha cameras for its video capabilities as well, it will be good to shop around for an alternative or a backup camcorder.

There was a very good reason why the Sony A55 and A33 camera launches were set against a snowy backdrop. According to the Sony Japan website, both DSLR shooters have overheating issues when it comes to video recording.

According to Sony, the A55 and A33 can't keep their cool for more than 11 minutes when recording video at a temperature of 20 degrees Celsius with Image Stabilization switched on. As a matter of fact, the Sony A55 overheats in just under 9 minutes with IS turned on (with IS off you will get the maximum 30 minutes provided the weather remains at a cool 20 degrees Celsius).

This poses as a serious problem in tropical climates where the weather is generally in the 25 to 35 degrees Celsius range. With those odds against you, it may be difficult to get more than 5 minutes of solid video recording.

So in case you are considering purchasing either one of these Sony Alpha cameras for its video capabilities as well, it will be good to shop around for an alternative or a backup camcorder.

Thanks for the info bro.

Do you know how long the Canon & Nikon counterparts can do it before the overheating problem surface?

Anyway I believe 9mins of video is very long, most people would just have a 2-3mins video clip, so 9 mins may not be too bad.

Really funny why nobody talks about overheating cams when the Canons were boasting about their DSLR which can record video, but the moment Sony release such cameras with video capabilities, the spotlight is on overheating issues as if the Sonys are the only one suffering from such problems. :dunno:

Those distractors can go ahead and talk (aka blow-cow) as much as they like, it's not going to stop me from shooting great photos and videos with my A55 !:bsmilie:

Such bias comments are simply sour grapes response from the other camp as they start to see their market share going southward.:sticktong

wah.. did i read the title correctly ?

i am u need to understand how electronics works under climates and weathers.

The heating issue is not due to the hot weather, it is the design of the chip.

The manual inside has already said it can only operate for a certain period of time

Really funny why nobody talks about overheating cams when the Canons were boasting about their DSLR which can record video, but the moment Sony release such cameras with video capabilities, the spotlight is on overheating issues as if the Sonys are the only one suffering from such problems. :dunno:

Those distractors can go ahead and talk (aka blow-cow) as much as they like, it's not going to stop me from shooting great photos and videos with my A55 !:bsmilie:

Such bias comments are simply sour grapes response from the other camp as they start to see their market share going southward.:sticktong

yeah true I once have an EPL1 (Olympus) and was at East Coast Park and it was sunny I was not even taking video after like 30-45mins under the sun it shows the temperature warning... I think this is common to all cam with active live view on for a very long time DSLT/DSLR is no exception to this.

Now on Video this is true across all interchangble lens body.. A a vid capability is a huge plus to have in DSLR/DSLT but they should remember these are camera and it's optimize as a Digital Camera not Vid cam :) there will always a limitations...

Nikon dslr (without image stabiliser) can record 5mins before sensor overheats.

Sony A33 & A55 (without image stabiliser) can record 29mins .

What is the issue here i don understand. They should go ask nikon why their sensor overheats so easily instead of sony...

wah.. did i read the title correctly ?

i am u need to understand how electronics works under climates and weathers.

The heating issue is not due to the hot weather, it is the design of the chip.

The manual inside has already said it can only operate for a certain period of time

I dunno why some ppl still making this a big deal?? I guess they are expecting these DSLR/DSLT to out perform a Video Camera :nono: if Sony and others like Panasonic and Canon would be able to do it then its like cutting one of thier own arms...

Panasonic did however announce a 4/3 sensor vid cam that could utilize Zuiko and Panasonic lenses (4/3 mount)....

To me, I think people who gave such negative comments or trying to bash a good product out of nothing is just pure jealousy or trying to convince themselves not to fall into the poison.

It's quite obvious that those who try to find faults with something are in the first place INTERESTED or KEEN on that thing before they bother to find faults with them.

If want to buy, just go buy even if you have full arsenal of Canikon setup, no worry of feeling shamed of buy a Sony product.

Nikon dslr (without image stabiliser) can record 5mins before sensor overheats.

Sony A33 & A55 (without image stabiliser) can record 29mins .

What is the issue here i don understand. They should go ask nikon why their sensor overheats so easily instead of sony...

" overheating " also encountered by Canon users for their own "video dslr"

see this forum thread about canon issue >> http://vimeo.com/groups/eos7d/forumthread:8892

:sweat:

Thanks for the info bros. So I would say that Sony is doing better than the other camps than. :)

I would say A55 and maybe the A33 is not suited for studio shooting.

Shooting video indoor in air-conditioned studio, HDSLR can last 29 mins, but shooting video outdoor in the evening at 30 degree C. shooting lasts about 10 mins. It therefore depends on the climate condition which affects the HDSLR-shooting video, time duration

Last edited:
just to share 1 of my overheating experience.

I was trying different settings, heres when i am trying to take a picture in bulb mode, at about 5pm, at MBS overlooking the CBD skyline. as the sun is quite strong (quite hot and glaring), i decided to look through the EVF to compose my shot, i remembered i was fiddling between my composition thru the EVF for quite a while, say maybe 2-3mins? then tried to hit the shutter, cant remember if it was after or before hitting the shutter when i was slapped with the overheating black screen and had to wait for my cam to cool down, immediately lost all my mood. this is not even Video. just to share. by the way i am a solely Sony user. NEX-5 and a33. decided to post this coz i think there might be a chance this can be feedback to Sony whoever is reading.

edit the post to add. its an a33, well thats not the 1st shot of the day, maybe i have worked the cam quite hard before this overheating prompt, i have been taking lotsa shots before that. overall i love the cam, apart from this only incident, i have had no problems with it in any other times. havent tried video though =)

Last edited:
The overheating issue also happen during camera mode.....it's mention a number of time by a few pple.......
Just that no one willing to listen.

I never got any issue with the SLT overheating during video mode........but during camera mode it's a NO NO!!!

just to share 1 of my overheating experience.

I was trying different settings, heres when i am trying to take a picture in bulb mode, at about 5pm, at MBS overlooking the CBD skyline. as the sun is quite strong (quite hot and glaring), i decided to look through the EVF to compose my shot, i remembered i was fiddling between my composition thru the EVF for quite a while, say maybe 2-3mins? then tried to hit the shutter, cant remember if it was after or before hitting the shutter when i was slapped with the overheating black screen and had to wait for my cam to cool down, immediately lost all my mood. this is not even Video. just to share. by the way i am a solely Sony user. NEX-5 and a33. decided to post this coz i think there might be a chance this can be feedback to Sony whoever is reading.

for NEX and other mirrorless I think has higher chances of over heating... I had before EPL1 and it too overheat or show the temperature error when shooting under bright sunny day. My A33 I did bring it out at MBS around lunch time (during lunch break) and was there for good 30-45mins when I saw the temperature warning also.

I think NEX will be suffer more coz the body is made of metal so it absord more heat and transfer it to internal components.

I think this is where the DSLR wins over mirrorless and even DSLT :) coz when you compose using OVF you're not using the main sensor so it got time to rest and cool down in between shots and while you're composing. I did notice that coz i have E620 DSLR I was out with my bro (he is using D90) during lunchtime till night outside we hardly off our cam and we never had overheating issue (but we are not taking video opps my E620 has no video capabilities hehehe) but you could feel the cam body is really hot coz it's black color and absorbs heat very fast.

With my A33 if I am not composing I turn it off so my sensor could rest in between shots or if I have done my composition and just waiting for good cloud formation or sun rays I also turn off my cam...

continiously shooting via EVF and OVF even at room temperature I think DSLT and other mirrorless will have over heating issue coz they are using the sensor and/or ovf sensor always... not like the DSLR when you shot shooting the sensor has time to rest or when you're composing via OVF.. but if you do you compositio via live view now you're on the same boat with mirrorless and DSLT

Probably , Sony have a inbuilt feature to remind photographers to take care of themselves to prevent heat stroke.. If the cam overheats, means its time to stop shooting, seek shelter to have a ice cold beer or smoothie... :bsmilie:

Jokes asides, I think without the space of the OVF, there are less air pockets to cool the system....

continiously shooting via EVF and OVF even at room temperature I think DSLT and other mirrorless will have over heating issue coz they are using the sensor and/or ovf sensor always... not like the DSLR when you shot shooting the sensor has time to rest or when you're composing via OVF.. but if you do you compositio via live view now you're on the same boat with mirrorless and DSLT

I think he mention about this issue: click
But hell, why using beginner's model to do professional work (although I must agree this beginner model on par others cam advanced model)

My friend's advanced model C 5dmk2(?) got the overheat issue during video(ing). I think he never passed 1 min (as he said)