Something Strange that i cannot explain!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AustinDMaestro

Nov 27, 2004
www.snapxot.com
Here is a picture i took yesterday in fort canning area ard 730pm. :bigeyes: it was taken with a LC50. night mode, no flash! no tripod its been placed on the ground. I didn't do any touch up or special effects to it!

Just see the lamp post. the light seem to be moving in a curve manner. :dunno: Anyone can explain? :devil:

1.jpg

How did you trigger the shutter? Did you use a timer or simply pressed the shutter?

Yes the camera is on 2 sec timer and its on the floor. If u notice, the building is sharp but the light is wavy from the lamp post. And i'm not using the Slow Sync flash. Its 5 sec shutter without flash.

Here is a close up.

3.jpg

AustinDMaestro said:
Yes the camera is on 2 sec timer and its on the floor. If u notice, the building is sharp but the light is wavy from the lamp post. And i'm not using the Slow Sync flash. Its 5 sec shutter without flash.

Here is a close up.

3.jpg

Something weird. Look at the lamp carefully. The light seem to move out from the lamp. Notice the shape of the light. What could be wrong for this?

SPOOKYYYY man :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

catchlights said:
You pressed the release before put down the camera.

Agreed, you have inadvertently released the shutter before you set the camera down. That trail of light is the movement of the lamp across your frame. The building and the background don't show up in the same way because its illumination is of far lower intensity. Try it, pick a dark place, set on self timer and long exposure, and walk slowly across in front of your camera during shutter opening, you wouldn't even register anywhere on the frame.

Cheers,

wow i think u can join the SPI in their next explore :bsmilie:

Definitely camera moved during exposure, light trail of the lamppost and a very faint light trail on top (below also) the building are evident.

dkw said:
Agreed, you have inadvertently released the shutter before you set the camera down. That trail of light is the movement of the lamp across your frame. The building and the background don't show up in the same way because its illumination is of far lower intensity. Try it, pick a dark place, set on self timer and long exposure, and walk slowly across in front of your camera during shutter opening, you wouldn't even register anywhere on the frame.

Cheers,

Very much in line with what I thought. Nothing spooky about it.

catchlights said:
You pressed the release before put down the camera.

definite answer......................... :thumbsup:

dear all i also have a few strange photos... few from ntu (must find) and one taken from marina south ...but i dunno how to insert pic... do i have to put it on another webby first??

Hey DKW, your explaination does make a whole lot of sense... i wasn't thinking along that line. thanks!

very obvious shutter open, nothing strange indeed :blah:

MMM... on second thoughts i may have to disagree... the accident shift of the camera looks abit too big a shift for the background and building to be in sharp focus, if your theory is correct. And if u look at the lights that bounce off the building, they move in different directions with the lamp post's bleed of light. cheers!

the building is still too sharp even if he release the shutter for a 5 second exposure b4 putting down the camera

so the next most probable explanation left is there is ghost

It is not a theory, is a fact. :D

What it needs is the camera moved less that a second, but it is long enough to make a light trail.

When the light trail goes up, mean the lens aiming down while moving. The small light patch underneath the building is not a reflection, it also a light trail of the lights that mounted on the ground.

Haha! Fact from where? it is documented somewhere? :D hehe :bsmilie:
no hard feelings.... :sweat:

AustinDMaestro said:
MMM... on second thoughts i may have to disagree... the accident shift of the camera looks abit too big a shift for the background and building to be in sharp focus, if your theory is correct. And if u look at the lights that bounce off the building, they move in different directions with the lamp post's bleed of light. cheers!

Consider your picture again, the top of the light trail is at the top of the frame, therefore, the starting position of the shot is with the bulb of the lamp at the top of the frame, which means.....you were in all likelihood pointing at the foreground at the start of the exposure, which, even in your long exposure is very dark, and therefore would not show up in a sudden movement.
Next, you now adjust the camera to the final position, the lamp being so bright, would burn a light trail into your frame. Now the rest of the pic (gate, background) comes into the picture, and the camera is now STABLE, which allows for a fairly sharp (sorry, its not very sharp at all) picture to be taken. As I had mentioned earlier, if the exposure is too low, you can have an object move across the frame slowly and not even show up anywhere. The rest of the "gate" is too over-exposed to have any light trail show up clearly within it.
I have no doubt in my mind that this (or some variant of this scenario) is what has happened, you can choose to take it FWIW....or are you trying to suggest something supernatural has occurred?

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.