Something on wat i wanna say long time ago...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kezumix

Jun 25, 2007
East
Nowadays, when i see on the forum, there are always, which camera is good? which lens is good? which etc is good?... etc

That brings me to wonder, does it really matter? Isn’t the question too generic and wide? Why doesn’t people ask which picture is good, where is a good place to shoot, when is a good time to shoot.. and i never ever seen such question posted in the forum. Maybe yes, but just that i never got to see it.

Yes, maybe i am jealous that i couldn’t afford those “FWAH” lens or camera or watever it is. But we are talking about taking photographs right? There are always questions on who is more important? Camera or Photographer... and yes i will definately pick the later. But if i have another choice, i would rather choose “Picture”.

Why? Of cos u nd a photographer to frame the “Picture” and press the shutter, the photographer to process/DI/montage or watever u call it. But end of the day, it is still the “Picture” that speaks. Not the photographers or the equipments nor the lenses or watever it concerns.

I am definately not starting any war or brand fighting... i am jus amazed that how much the photography scene has changed. Anyone can be a photographer, anyone can be seen with a big lens or camera, alot of people just lost their focus on the Picture.

Everything said are just my very own opinions, there are people out there who might agrees or disagrees. My intention here is jus to say out loud to people “ Please, shoot some Pictures and stop hogging about on Camera, Lenses, which is better... This is not photography!”

everytime somebody ask where to shoot, some other guy will answer, "google is ur best fren". somebody ask which is a good foto, another guy will answer back, "it is all subjective...btw, ur horizon's slanted". somebody ask which camera is good, ppl tend to talk longer...hence the situation we're in now. :)

i guess u are right then. Maybe all forums is like tat. :bsmilie:

Forums are like that? You sure, take a look at other forums like DP. They are very helpful and do not provide useless reply one.

Nowadays, when i see on the forum, there are always, which camera is good? which lens is good? which etc is good?... etc

That brings me to wonder, does it really matter? Isn’t the question too generic and wide? Why doesn’t people ask which picture is good, where is a good place to shoot, when is a good time to shoot.. and i never ever seen such question posted in the forum. Maybe yes, but just that i never got to see it.

Yes, maybe i am jealous that i couldn’t afford those “FWAH” lens or camera or watever it is. But we are talking about taking photographs right? There are always questions on who is more important? Camera or Photographer... and yes i will definately pick the later. But if i have another choice, i would rather choose “Picture”.

Why? Of cos u nd a photographer to frame the “Picture” and press the shutter, the photographer to process/DI/montage or watever u call it. But end of the day, it is still the “Picture” that speaks. Not the photographers or the equipments nor the lenses or watever it concerns.

I am definately not starting any war or brand fighting... i am jus amazed that how much the photography scene has changed. Anyone can be a photographer, anyone can be seen with a big lens or camera, alot of people just lost their focus on the Picture.

Everything said are just my very own opinions, there are people out there who might agrees or disagrees. My intention here is jus to say out loud to people “ Please, shoot some Pictures and stop hogging about on Camera, Lenses, which is better... This is not photography!”
most people believe in "just get Good camera = can get Good picture", if a person won't get pass this stage, this hobby won't last long.

Just let them be, don't try too hard to correct people like them, since people come and go, just bear with it. :)

If all take pictures with little buying, all shops die of starvation already :bsmilie:

I think this topic was brought up in DPR long time back as well.

It depends on forum. CS got so many members not because it has many good photographers but rather it has BnS, Merchants and rooms for newbies. Whether good or bad advise, the low medium standard is set already.

If you want a professional forum, then there is little room for sub-standard english, knowledge and terms. Where the words good, excellent and proficient are not accepted because u need to justify. Degree, Masters, Phd level.

Camera section. Strict moderated rules limiting picture posting from camera users. These are areas where majority of new to intermediate users who cannot meet the photo section expectation interacts. But without pictures allowed, who still bothers to talk about photos. :think:

The photography section in CS are all there, Abtract, Travel, Night, Macro. But you just look at the type of question? What kind of question do u expect to ask.

One suggestion. Set a new section "How I took these Pictures"- Allow people to post pictures and explain how he/she does it.

most people believe in "just get Good camera = can get Good picture", if a person won't get pass this stage, this hobby won't last long.

Just let them be, don't try too hard to correct people like them, since people come and go, just bear with it.

We must also realize that a good camera can help a good photographer get a good picture.

Technology is a double edged sword. know how to use it well, it can do wonders. Otherwise it is just a paper weight, ready for the 2nd hand market.

well. agreed. a master with a stick may own a newbie with a sword. but 2 masters up against each other? u dun wanna be the one holding the stick ~~

i think the sudden influx of ur low to med standards hor, blame it on all the major camera companies.

ever since they started kicking out comsumer grade dslrs, i have ppl coming after me asking wad dslr to get cause it looks cool.
stupid advertising. totally ruins the atmosphere we have.

u can easily split clubsnap to 2 i guess.

1: serious photographers who help each other out. u can find them loitering at the photo biz section giving advice to people.
2: jokers who gets a camera cause its cool. u see them loitering mostly at the other sections posting rubbish. cause its just talk c*ck sing song ~~

Last edited:
If all take pictures with little buying, all shops die of starvation already :bsmilie:

yah.. true also...BUT if the shops are dying of starvation.. Won't we be getting much more cheaper 1st hand equipment rather than 2nd hand which is more expensive than 1st hand equipment? :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Just let them be, don't try too hard to correct people like them, since people come and go, just bear with it. :)

Maybe that many people come and go, they also in a way made the camera market more and more expensive, making those who are serious photographers curse and swear at the price hikes? :think:

I am trying very hard not to do anything about it, just that whenever i log in to the forum, there are always so many "interesting" repeated questions being post and trust me (it has been a very long time since i logged in) So i guess i just have to log in not so often to control my temptation to let out my fustration :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Forums are like that? You sure, take a look at other forums like DP. They are very helpful and do not provide useless reply one.

well, that have to depend on what questions are being asked... if people asked silly question etc?

Just that the funny part is, pardon me if i offended anyone.

A silly question is asked. And another silly person answered with a silly or useless answer. :bsmilie:

I think to say that cameras and lenses aren't part of photography might be slightly extreme in the other direction, but there is a serious preoccupation with photographic equipment amongst a good number of forum users on Clubsnap.

This has of course been debated before, and I think probably for a long time now I have been a subscriber of the view that taken as a whole, people with cameras in Singapore are more interested in the camera than the image, while people where I live in the UK seem to focus much more on the photograph. I witnessed this first hand about ten years ago, and if anything the DSLR revolution has made the "problem" worse in Singapore.

Put another way, you could argue that the average joe involved in the scene in Singapore is more accurately described as a camera fan rather than a person who strives to take pictures; to the extent that the camera is really the objective rather than the pictures, and the pictures that are taken are really a by-product of the camera ownership.

That is obviously a generalisation and there are plenty of talented photographers in Singapore.

Of course there are other reasons why talk sometimes gets more technical than aesthetic. It's a lot easier to tangibly discuss equipment, whereas it's very difficult to quantify aesthetics. But by no means is that a major source of the problem.

The holy trinity of taking good pictures (in descending order of importance):

1) Good photographer
2) Good subject
3) Good camera and lens

Hmm i think that some of the questions newbies posts should be asked by hobbyist or some "Professionals" also. Because in many situations there is an "Appropriate" Lens to use for the effect decided on. Just like taking a mid shot with a 85L at 1.2 vs using a 200 f1.8 to do the exact same shot. The desired effect is differed with the lenses used.

However, the newcomers very often misunderstands that if i use this lens means i can get this result. With out the knowledge of, why, how and what was applied to achieve the image.

So to add on to "TheChef"'s list of importence. i think the top most priority is

1) good knowledge on technical imaging
2) good photographer to apply this knowledge
3) good subject
4) Good equipment.

Of cos there are alot of things in between like light and wat ever lah..

I think no matter what the case is, we can't afford to have any moral hangups in this forum. It will only lead to more disatisfaction in the long run. There will always be things which people say or do here that are bound to upset others for one reason another; best to take a moderate approach and apply forum regulations as prudently as possible. Fortunately or not, there are avenues for such questions in this forum, and as long as people keep replying to them using these channels, these questions will remain (technically) legitimate. The most one can do if they are annoying is not to respond altogether. Perhaps an alternative would be to propose new rules that will help to curb (preceived) unpleasant behaviour. Implementaion of these rules should be properly deliberated with due respect to the forum moderators of course. Discussions on photography by and large comprise a combination of technical and artistic topics, let's hope moral ones don't enter the picture unnecessarily. I do agree with the TS that these questions can often be very annoying, if for no other reason then the fact that they get in the way of searches for other more interesting discussions, but unless something is done at the policy level, mum's the word for me :)

There are many photography forums where equipment/techniques get discussed, and on different levels.

Some forums are more technical, and some are more academic. It all depends on the members and mix of topics and discussions.

If you're looking specifically for forums where the discussions are more focused on academic and artistic topics, you would have to look for them (they do exist ;)) as the majority seem to focus on more technical/technique and equipment related topics.

However, as pointed out, the UK forums tend to gravitate towards technique more, even though thousands of pages are still filled with equipment talk, it tends to be somewhat different than SEA forums.

Don't think too much, just stick on to your belief and keep your passion going.

Last time when i'm still walking around busy taking photo with my Minolta X-300s, there were always a group of uncles sitting down in the coffeeshop the whole day with their Lecia on the table, chatting about gears......

i can find threads that provide you with impressions to the contrary

Status
Not open for further replies.