67mm filter
15 elements in 12 groups
Zoom ring in front of focussing ring

Canon 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
67mm filter
15 elements in 12 groups
Zoom ring in front of focussing ring

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

is it a std optimised design or something? or spyware?
anyway anyone knows a site with photodo sharpness and AF speed? yeah I like to harp on AF speed...

Originally posted by denizenx
is it a std optimised design or something? or spyware?
anyway anyone knows a site with photodo sharpness and AF speed? yeah I like to harp on AF speed...

www.photozone.de

Take ALL RATINGS with a pinch of salt. Remember, unless you shoot MTF charts, MTF ratings mean nothing.

Regards
CK

Interesting. Post pics on this Zoom ring in front of focus ring camera if possible.

canon_vs_nikon.jpg

Nikon on left, Canon on right. Notice the similarities....

Regards
CK

The similar filter threads are not coincidental, and probably the elements and groups as well, because to design a certain lens, you'll probably come up with the same figures. Given that the focal length and maximum apertures are identical, the 67mm thread is expected really...

But who knows whether there is something fishy going on?

Originally posted by Jed
But who knows whether there is something fishy going on?

well... in these days of co-opetition, it's not unheard of to OEM a design from a competitor if it makes sense.

hmmm.... wonder if Nikon is talking to Canon about that 400f/4DO .... ;p

A 400/4 would be a welcome addition, but the DO technology isn't really all that impressive... at least not as impressive as Canon makes it sound.

The lenses are definately not from the same manufacturer and if you look closely at the photos above you'll see why!

The Nikkor's zoom ring rotates anti clockwise and the Canon's rotates clockwise. This indicates a different internal construction for the lenses.

Jed's quite right about the filter diameter and grouping element numbers. To achieve a given level of performance and aperture in similar focal lengths the optical design will be similar to up to a point.

Good points, Ian, but still rather suspicious. After all, 67mm is really an odd size, and which Nikkor (or Canon for that matter) has a zoom ring in front of the focusing ring?

Originally posted by YSLee
Good points, Ian, but still rather suspicious. After all, 67mm is really an odd size, and which Nikkor (or Canon for that matter) has a zoom ring in front of the focusing ring?

67mm isn't an odd size if it's tamron lol.

However a bit of specification reading show the following major differences between the lenses:

Canon: near focus: 500mm
Nikon: near focus: 380mm

Also according to the Nikon press release this is the first lens with their 'new' cosmetic styling.

There's no sign of a similar lens by the usual collection of 3rd party suspects, ie: Tamron, Tokina and Cosina so I rest my case that the lenses are likely to be OEM originals.

One thing that does perplex me however is why the zoom marker point is on the bayonet side of the lens body, this might indiciate that the zoom ring is indeed the lower ring and the top ring is for focusing as the lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.