some question about Film Scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, been using my Acer scanwit 2720s for about 20 rolls of negatives.....no ICE so always need to ensure my negatives free of dust scratch before i scanned.

on the other hand, i read from Armateur Photographer that those with ICE scanner required more time (mutilple pass) per frame scan.....normally i scan a 36 exp roll with about 1.5 - 2 hrs, already feel very tired...:(

but i think ICE should work and really save the trouble on 'photoshoping' your scan image after that....

yes, ICE works and it really help you save time.

but with the CSIV, if you turn on ICE, GEM, ROC etc, each scan will take aboout 3.5 minutes, hence 1 roll will take you at least 2.5 hours

Originally posted by rueyloon
yes, ICE works and it really help you save time.

but with the CSIV, if you turn on ICE, GEM, ROC etc, each scan will take aboout 3.5 minutes, hence 1 roll will take you at least 2.5 hours

How long to scan 1 frame with ICE only, at 2900dpi?

Regards
CK

ICE wont work with black n white films and Kodachrome.

What I understand about ICE:

It uses an additional Infra-Red channel to scan the film, so that only the dust and scratches are visible in that channel. Using this additional information, the touch-up algorithm can target the specific areas on the scanned picture affected by dust and scratches.

That's why it is more effective than PS's dust and scratches filter, because looking at RGB only, the software has no way to determine the areas affected by dust and scratches, thus have to apply global filtering (similar to blurring), which is not very effective and degrades the entire picture.

1. Yes, ICE does really work and it saves a lot of time of retouching dust and scratches in Photoshop.

2. I do not think there a difference in results due to RGB array or fluorescent lamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.