Some Q about rolling back film halfway

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanoman

Dec 17, 2002
a.little.red.dot
I just bought a camera that support roll back the film before it reach 36 exposure. I find it very convenient. But I have some doubt, anyone can enlighten me. Q!

1. How accurate is the roll back film. Let say I have taken exposure and the LCD show 10 (9 exposure rite?) then I rolled back the film. One day I decided to use the film again, and I will press my shutter until I reached 10 in the LCD display. Should I press until it reach 10 or should I press one more time, so the display will show 11? I want to prevent overlap between the last exposure with the next shot.
2. What is the best way to press the shutter without having a stray light entering the film chamber. What I did in the past, I change to M mode. Keep the lens cap attached. Choose smallest aperture and fastest shutter speed. Correct? Should I close the viewfinder also?
3. Dumb q, how many time can we perform the above operation?

TIA ;)
Willy

hanoman said:
I just bought a camera that support roll back the film before it reach 36 exposure. I find it very convenient. But I have some doubt, anyone can enlighten me. Q!

1. How accurate is the roll back film. Let say I have taken exposure and the LCD show 10 (9 exposure rite?) then I rolled back the film. One day I decided to use the film again, and I will press my shutter until I reached 10 in the LCD display. Should I press until it reach 10 or should I press one more time, so the display will show 11? I want to prevent overlap between the last exposure with the next shot.
2. What is the best way to press the shutter without having a stray light entering the film chamber. What I did in the past, I change to M mode. Keep the lens cap attached. Choose smallest aperture and fastest shutter speed. Correct? Should I close the viewfinder also?
3. Dumb q, how many time can we perform the above operation?

TIA ;)
Willy

1. Yes. 10.
2. Yes! use M mode, choose smallest aperture and fastest shutter speed with lens cap on.

works well for me.

cheechee said:
1. Yes. 10.
2. Yes! use M mode, choose smallest aperture and fastest shutter speed with lens cap on.

works well for me.

Does EOS 300 support this? EOS 888 doesn't.. And i accidentally rolled back the film.. :(

OzOn3 said:
Does EOS 300 support this? EOS 888 doesn't.. And i accidentally rolled back the film.. :(

use the film-picker to pull out the film if your film leader is wind in. don't forget to put to manual focus if it's a "AF" camera. :bsmilie: if it shows you "10" on the film display, you should forward it to "12" before you use that same roll again.

OK, a bit confuse. Should I play safe and press 2 times more to become 12. Or should I press it until it reach 10. 1 time should be enough right?

10 will be enuff

OzOn3 said:

Hehe.. i know definitely eos50 and eos30 can do this.. :bsmilie:

If your concern is not to have overlap frames, the more frames you skip, the more sure you are that there won't be overlap.

Yes, 10 might be enuf, but I feel the risk of overlap is definitely there. the risk is just too great. Unless you are so sure you always pull out the feeder to a precise length when loading, even then, ....

11 is safer. so the question you have to ask yourself, is wasting that 1 (or less) frame so abhorrent??

myself, I play it really really safe, its always 12 for me. Just like some suggested. I look at the empty space in between frames, where I break the roll, sometimes I see longer space, sometimes shorter, but I never never have to regret trying to save some film, and wasted 2!!! precious shoot.

Imagine, trying to save 1 miserable frame, and __2__ shots overlap. you do the math.

You can change as many times as you want. if the situation requires it, then you have to do it. no need to hestitate. If you already decided you will forward to 10, then no wastage at all. if you are the type that forwards to 11, you lose average 1 frame everytime you break, and so on.

BTW, make sure you label your film correctly, and make sure you never never mixed it with other films, unused or used ones. heh, then you really really want to kick yourself. Shit, I kicked myself twice already. First time, I bite the bullet, and wasted 7 frames on the unused roll. second time, I got lucky and remembered correctly which is which.

used to have an eos50e
never bothered to put "safety frames" when reusing the roll, never had a problem.
but u run the risk of scratching the negs if u reuse too many times.

Allright thanks man. If I want to play safe, I should give 2 shots distance. But if I am stingy I should not give any distance, hehe. I think I will chose to press 1 time.

Status
Not open for further replies.