Some old photos from my G1....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Dawn

Jan 17, 2002
Singapore
www.5stonesphoto.com
Hi

some old photos from my old G1 (which i sold away when i got my D30 - now kinda regret that decision - should have kept for sentimental value :p)

i've since sold my G1 after getting my D30, but there are shots from my G1 which can never be taken again by any newer or better camera. those are the priceless moments which don't ever happen again.....

moral of the story is - freeze those moments with watever camera you have NOW.

IMG_8217.jpg

IMG_8224.jpg

After observing some night scene pictures from this and HWZ forum, I found that most of them have one common mistake. They are all over-exposed. Allow me to give some pointers on night photography.

Camera metering tends to over-expose some lights/lamps in most night scene due to large black background. Spot metering will not help either unless the overall subject is bright enough. In such situation, one should step down the shutter speed (even for trailing lights shot) from the original camera reading to get an accurate details of the subject without getting a thick blur light bulbs/lamps effect. Think again. the background is already black. Under-exposed black background will have no visible effect on it. On the other hand, long exposure on light bulb or lamp will easily have burn-in effect on the picture.

Originally posted by iiioloiii
After observing some night scene pictures from this and HWZ forum, I found that most of them have one common mistake. They are all over-exposed. Allow me to give some pointers on night photography.

i agree it's a very common mistake, that's why i particularly love the 2 night shots i posted here, which i think are perfectly exposed. i think the reason is because i shot the first one of the Grand Copthorne Hotel during the magic hour light - that window of 7-7:15 pm (sometimes later) where the sky is the bluest and yet bright enough to suit the dynamic range of the G1. The second of the central fire station was shot just after the magic hour.....

Actually whether it's overexposure or not is also pretty subjective. Some just like it darker :)

i too have my fair share of over-exposed night shots when i was happily taking night shots with the G1, and i think your tips are good, but i feel that a major reason why there are so many overexposed night shots is because everybody is shooting when the sky is pitch black. For consumer digicams, (where most of those night shots originate), the exposure latitude is small compared to color negative - if one were to expose for the bright highlights (eg street lamps), then the rest of the scene would go very dark and important details would be hidden. And since most consumer digicam owners don't do complex photoshop post processing on their images to bring out shadow detail, i think most arrive at the conclusion that a little overexposure is good. Actually, there isn't ANY detail to be retained in the bright highlights of street lamps anyway.

i think the key to successful night shots is to take them during the magic hours. At least for me, my keepers are not those when the sky is pitch black. wat do u guys think?

D30, Sigma 20 f1.8
@ f8, ISO 100

CRW_1605L.jpg

I like the last two also, very nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.