Some newbie questions about printing photos...

Status
Not open for further replies.

asterixsg

May 22, 2006
Somewhere in this creation
Hello all,

For the first time, I am planning to print some of my photos in 8R size (i.e. 8 inches X 10 inches). I need some help in getting some questions clarified.

Question 1
===========
I have my photos at 72 pixels/inch resolution. Based on this, the maximum size of paper on which I can print the photos is 48.667 inches X 32.444 inches.

I had read that in order to get good quality prints, the resolution should be around 212 pixels/inch. As per the photoshop guru - Scott Kelby - if I want to preserve the print quality, when changing the resolution from 72 pixels/inch to 212 pixels/inch, I shouldn't Resample the Image.

If I do that, my Image Size changes to 16.528 inches by 11.019 inches. This I suppose is good enough to print on 8R size, isn't it ?

Question 2
===========
My next question is - should I resize my image to 212 pixels per inch first and then do whatever corrections I want to make to the image ?
OR
Should I make the corrections first and then resize the image to 212 pixels per inch ?

Thanks for your replies.

I usually print at 250 dpi minimum unless posters :)

Bro,
Thanks for the reply.
If I change to 250 ppi, the width and height become 14.016 and 9.344 respectively. Still good for 8R, isn't it ?
If I change to 300 ppi, the width and height are 11.68 and 7.787 respectively. This definitely looks out for 8R.

I suggest you give them the full resolution you have.
Jus crop to the correct ratio.
U probly have enough for more than 250dpi so dont bother interpolating or blown up fixing.

Wah! questions like that considered newbie question meh? hehehehe

I suggest you give them the full resolution you have.
Jus crop to the correct ratio.
U probly have enough for more than 250dpi so dont bother interpolating or blown up fixing.

Thanks.
So what you are saying is that I just do my correction stuff as is and hand them over the photos at 72 ppi - let the print shop take care of the rest ?
Me a bit slow in understanding lah :cry:

Hi,

There are no differences to your 8R print whether you first edit at 250dpi or 72dpi.

My suggestion is to :

1. Change to high res (250dpi or more).
2. Crop to your ratio.
3. Edit your photo
4. Save as TIF.
5. Send for printing. Tell the printer you have TIF files to print.

Enjoy.

Hi,

There are no differences to your 8R print whether you first edit at 250dpi or 72dpi.

My suggestion is to :

1. Change to high res (250dpi or more).
2. Crop to your ratio.
3. Edit your photo
4. Save as TIF.
5. Send for printing. Tell the printer you have TIF files to print.

Enjoy.

Thanks a million. :thumbsup:
Now, that's like a pro :bsmilie:

I usually send in AD images directly in Jpeg.

Only if i shot in RAW then i will convert to tiff before sending in, otherwise also of trouble for them.

72 or 250 doesnt matter. Your total number of pixels remain constant. Simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.