some newbie questions about flash and FEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nitrile

May 25, 2004
East, Singapore
does the FEC setting in the camera afrfect only the inbuilt flash or also a speedlite attached to the hotshoe?

since i have a 300D and it doesnt allow me to set FEC on the fly, will i be able to set the flash level if i get a speedlite? as in, on the speedlite itself.

:sweat:

Yes FEC on camera body AFFECT both the built-in flash and flashes that are mounted onto the camera's hotshoe. 300D doesn't come with FEC controls but there a russian guy wrote a firmware hack to enable it. (Actually locked by manufacturer to stop it from competing with the 10D in terms of functionalities)

This thread discusses the firmware hack for 300D: http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=77342&highlight=300D+firmware

You may want to consult some of the 300D owners who have installed the firmware hack on how to go about installing it if you have doubts. :)

Nitrile

May 25, 2004
East, Singapore
CaeSiuM said:
Yes FEC on camera body AFFECT both the built-in flash and flashes that are mounted onto the camera's hotshoe. 300D doesn't come with FEC controls but there a russian guy wrote a firmware hack to enable it. (Actually locked by manufacturer to stop it from competing with the 10D in terms of functionalities)

This thread discusses the firmware hack for 300D: http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=77342&highlight=300D+firmware

You may want to consult some of the 300D owners who have installed the firmware hack on how to go about installing it if you have doubts. :)
yes, i am aware of the hack but i just got my 300D and i really wouldnt want to use hacked firmware now..at least while its still under warranty.

The choice is yours but that is your only alternative now if you want body built-in FEC unless Canon decides to release a firmware that unlocks FEC which i doubt they will. :D

Alternatively you can get the 550EX which has FEC on the flash itself or the Sigma 500DG which also have FEC as well as E-TTL compatibility.

sequitur

Apr 17, 2003
flickr.com
yup.

as caesium has recommended.

either hack or get a flash. if you can't afford a 550ex, get a 550dg. if you can't afford a 550dg, can get a really cheapo manual flash and train yourself to use it - it'll help a lot. not recommended to use manual flash for quick flowing events though - you're gonna miss out a lot on the moments.

otherwise even more cheapo methods include using varying degrees of thickness of tissue paper to cover your built-in flash head. it's true - you can get soft diffused effects from a built-in flash using tissue paper. just be careful not to catch your fingers' shadows.

hope these help.

Feb 3, 2002
Singapore
I got it for $330.

There're 2 models of the Sigma 500 - one we're talking about is Sigma 500 Super, the other is Sigma 500 ST, IIRC. Don't get the wrong one.

sumball

Jul 8, 2003
yes, dg super can fec but st cannot. st costs only abt $220+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom