Solid Fuel in baggage ?

I checked in my backpack with Tigerairways in vietnam with a packet of solidfuel.

Nothing happened.

I also check in before.
You just make sure u wrap properly.

Cos any heating element will cos it to ignite.

You guys ought to be ashamed of yourselves. Endangering the lives of everyone on the plane.

Some people will kay kiang and try to test the system to the limits. Do whatever they want, just don't endanger other people's lives on board.

This is what pissed me soooooo much! I took plane around once every month... and I really really hope that I don't share the same plane as these irresponsible people... I don't want to hand in my NRIC without even reaching 60s just because of some fellas mistake.

I also check in before.
You just make sure u wrap properly.
Cos any heating element will cos it to ignite.
Exactly that's the reason why it is not allowed. There have been plenty of situations where material considered harmless or safe suddenly becomes a threat. In an emergency situation, the last thing people need is some additional fuel in the luggage compartments.

Properties of Hexamine are highly flammable

Not to mention...

Esbit's Material Safety Data Sheet states combustion can create formaldehyde, ammonia, nitrogen oxide, hydrogen cyanide and ingestion may cause nausea, vomiting, gastrointestinal disturbances, and kidney damage.

Wood/charcoal fire is still best.

Let me put things in perspective:

Benefits:
- Convenience of having the solid fuel upon landing for some poorly conceived use

Cons:
- endangering the entire plane, consisting of pilots, air crew, passengers who are someone's cherished parent, sibling, child, friend and other loved ones.

- Lost of employment of countless of airport security staff because they failed to detect that ridiculously small package that you, the incorrigible passenger, take great pains to pack and conceal. (Let's face it. This is akin to finding a needle in a haystack)

- Future travelers will be subjected to further checks and other inconveniences that are likely to be intrusive and unpleasant

A lot of people may wonder, even if it ignites, it is just a small fire, right? Nothing water in a small plastic cup that the airlines give cannot extinguish?

First, the materials are stored in the cargo department. If a fire occurs, it would not be detected until it is too late. Even so, it is not reachable from the cabin.

Next, the cabin is pressurized, so fires can be highly unpredictable.

Finally, the carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide and other harmful gases can cause havoc to the air circulation systems to go bonkers.

So thanks for this yeah.

You ought to be arrested and dealt with harshly.

I do agree to that, let's not get carried away with FUD but let's stick to facts.
First, the materials are stored in the cargo department. If a fire occurs, it would not be detected until it is too late. Even so, it is not reachable from the cabin.
Next, the cabin is pressurized, so fires can be highly unpredictable.
Finally, the carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide and other harmful gases can cause havoc to the air circulation systems to go bonkers.
1) Cargo sections are equipped with smoke detectors and other equipment for early notification. Unfortunately, it took some serious incidents and lost lives to get to this point.
2) Pressurized here means: higher pressure than outside, but lower pressure than ground level. Lower pressure also means less amount of Oxygen per cubic meter air.
3) As far as I know, the airconditioning system takes fresh air from outside, which gets processed and cleaned before pumped into the cabin. It's not a closed circulation system.
Solid fuel has been banned based on a lot of reasons, we don't need to speculate here further and draw whatever drastic pictures based on limited knowledge but unlimited imagination.

Last edited:
The point here is... anything inflamable was banned... and for good reason I believe and not someone up there who wished to purposely cause inconvenience to people flying... Why... can't people just... for once, follow to the rules? WHY MUST PEOPLE ALWAYS TRY TO ACT SMART... well... that is not smart, it is plain stupid (plain and simple) and totally irresponsible (I normally don't resort to this type of language, but...)

The point here is... anything inflamable was banned... and for good reason I believe and not someone up there who wished to purposely cause inconvenience to people flying... Why... can't people just... for once, follow to the rules? WHY MUST PEOPLE ALWAYS TRY TO ACT SMART... well... that is not smart, it is plain stupid (plain and simple) and totally irresponsible (I normally don't resort to this type of language, but...)

Hence the term "act smart". Emphasis on "act"

I do agree to that, let's not get carried away with FUD but let's stick to facts.

1) Cargo sections are equipment with smoke detectors and other equipment for early notification. Unfortunately, it took some serious incidents and lost lives to get to this point.
2) Pressurized here means: higher pressure than outside, but lower pressure than ground level. Lower pressure also means less amount of Oxygen per cubic meter air.
3) As far as I know, the airconditioning system takes fresh air from outside, which gets processed and cleaned before pumped into the cabin. It's not a closed circulation system.
Solid fuel has been banned based on a lot of reasons, we don't need to speculate here further and draw whatever drastic pictures based on limited knowledge but unlimited imagination.

Heh. I was probably too emotional earlier.

I discussed this with a pilot friend, and it is still pretty messy.

Benefits:
- Convenience of having the solid fuel upon landing for some poorly conceived use

or when people fear that the plane's galley runs out of hot food, they can light up the solid fuel to heat it up :)