So I want to upgrade my macbook unibody RAM

Headshotzx

Dec 14, 2007
Punggol
Hey peeps,

as per title, I wanna upgrade my macbook unibody 13" ram.

I heard that it can officially only take 4GB maximum. Is this true?

What will happen if I go with 2GB and 4GB sticks?

Also, what ram should i get? I'm quite lost.

The ones I have now are the standard 1067MHz 1GB DDR3 ram.

Cheers,
Zexun

Hi Headshotzx,

Yah, officially your macbook should support to max of 4GB ram (2 pcs of 2GB). But there have been people who tried to do 2GB+4GB, can do a bit googling, found one for your reads http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook/macbook-unibody-faq/macbook-unibody-13-non-pro-how-to-upgrade-ram.html

Do read up on how the "dual-ness" of the rams affect the running and processing of your mac ya (they work best in forms of TWOs or dual).

Go to this store at SLS called SGL #02-23. It's near to the connecting overhead bridge side. Just say you wanna get RAMs for your macbook (which version) and they should be able to recommend you some.

You can ask them to help you install them if you are not confident yourself. Not sure but that depends if they are busy, they are pretty alright peeps.

HTH :)

Last edited:
Haha thanks for your replies!

So would it be more appropriate to take a 2 + 4, or a 2 + 2? I know 4 + 4 can't / won't work.

I don't really understand this (late 2008 MBP, applies to early 2009 MB unibody as well):

CONCLUSION
The 6GB configuration produced essentially identical benchmark results to the 4GB configuration in our 2.8GHz MacBook Pro. The difference ranged from -.5% to +1.7% or an average difference of +.28% or less than 1/3 of one percent. I call that negligible. Or, in other words, you should have no worries about a speed penalty imposed by non-matching memory modules and loss of interleaving.

And when you consider the 6GB configuration potentially means less virtual memory swaps, then the only consideration is the cost.

- barefeats

Last edited:
Haha thanks for your replies!

So would it be more appropriate to take a 2 + 4, or a 2 + 2? I know 4 + 4 can't / won't work.

I don't really understand this (late 2008 MBP, applies to early 2009 MB unibody as well):

- barefeats

which to get i guess depends on you bah. usually ppl are not getting the 4GB because of the price :sweat: but if it isn't an issue for you, can try the 2+4... or just stick with 2+2? (maybe find out a bit more on the difference from users in forums etc?)