snow & trees

Status
Not open for further replies.

llyimll

Dec 19, 2006
AMK, YCK Area
382248744_a4bf6213ab_m.jpg

took this pic when i was holidaying in china.. comments? :)

382248744_a4bf6213ab_m.jpg

took this pic when i was holidaying in china.. comments? :)

why not put up a bigger pic for critique? i don't like the trees with the base cut off, but perhaps that's just me, and maybe the lens isn't wide enough.

just my 2 cents. but it's a nice shot nonetheless.

thx for the pointers.. i'll post a larger pic when i got home.. cuz the guidelines said max800 pix width.. so i thought..

anw i shot it with a 17-70mm lens. if i'm not wrong the focal length shd be 17mm.. i'll post the details of the pic when i upload it later when i get home.:)

thx for the pointers.. i'll post a larger pic when i got home.. cuz the guidelines said max800 pix width.. so i thought..

anw i shot it with a 17-70mm lens. if i'm not wrong the focal length shd be 17mm.. i'll post the details of the pic when i upload it later when i get home.:)
the posted pic is 240pix wide... you can increas a lot more....

for me the focus and composition is missing...

i just find the 2 dark trunks in the foreground distracting, other than that, this shot has very nice colour combi ^^

Perhaps the rule need add min size ..... :confused:

hi guys, thx for all the pointers.. will take into account.. just starting out in photog so will need lotsa help here.. anw here's the bigger version of pic

382248744_a4bf6213ab_o.jpg

the details for the pics are as follows:

Camera: Canon EOS 30D
Exposure: 0.001 sec (1/2000)
Aperture: f/6.3
Focal Length: 17 mm

ok, that looks much better.... detail: 0.001 is 1/1000 and not 1/2000

exposure and colour: you got it right, snow not too bright, sky is a strong blue, clouds are there.....

but what happen to the composition man? Looks like an arbitrary shoot, point into the trees and fire....
Trees provide lots of material to shoot but you got to be careful how you slice and cut... since it is a group of trees i would try to get more of them or focus on a single one without any others...

ok, that looks much better.... detail: 0.001 is 1/1000 and not 1/2000

exposure and colour: you got it right, snow not too bright, sky is a strong blue, clouds are there.....

but what happen to the composition man? Looks like an arbitrary shoot, point into the trees and fire....
Trees provide lots of material to shoot but you got to be careful how you slice and cut... since it is a group of trees i would try to get more of them or focus on a single one without any others...

hi michael,

thx for the comments;
i copied the details as they were presented on flickr.. and didnt realize that mistake.. oops..
anw, you're right abt the composition, cuz it was kind of a rushed shot that turned out well. I was in sichuan last dec, and we were midway up some snowy mountain road when the bus stalled. So we got out and i got this chance to just take a few pot shots in the freezing weather (-15deg) before i went back into the bus. ;-p

anw, just to clarify, it would be better if i focused on a single tree or pasid more attention to how the trees in the sides and background come into the frame?

yim

hi michael,

thx for the comments;
i copied the details as they were presented on flickr.. and didnt realize that mistake.. oops..
anw, you're right abt the composition, cuz it was kind of a rushed shot that turned out well. I was in sichuan last dec, and we were midway up some snowy mountain road when the bus stalled. So we got out and i got this chance to just take a few pot shots in the freezing weather (-15deg) before i went back into the bus. ;-p

anw, just to clarify, it would be better if i focused on a single tree or pasid more attention to how the trees in the sides and background come into the frame?

yim

Hi Yim
single tree or group? you got to adjust to the situation. Move around, try framing here and there, move in and out, try to find that focus point and compose around it. Even in a group you can focus on a single tree (if that is what you want), but then you need to identify what belongs to it and what not. move your point of shooting until it fits (zoom lenses make you lazy....).

For me it looks nice... but for the very reason i've never seen something like that in real.

can more texture be revealed on the trees? i've not shot any pictures of snow but thought the texture might help to make the pic more dimensional?

and maybe a wider angle shot can be taken or zoomed in, depending on what you wanna achieve -- landscape view or detail

seems to me that this picture lack a point of focus.
Seems to me that the tree you want to emphasis on is the nearest one, but the rest seems rather distraction as well.

I would be nice if you could only focus on one subject + the sky.

Status
Not open for further replies.