SMRT returns trains

That explains why the shareholders are not concerned....

Shareholders are not concerned because majority shareholder is THE government.IF this thread goes on it's more like talking politics..haha. which we have been "cautioned against".I'll put the final nail into the coffin. I'll use cliches, since we are ignorant children, "what you don't know won't hurt you".After all you voted us in so we ARE your gaurdians,we do what's best in your interests.
Investors know which side of their bread is buttered on. (Business like certainty but the reality
is change is the only constant.Who are we fooling?)

When there's a "situation" the news like to ask experts for their opinions or advice, invariably they
are industry professionals or acadamia but where do the rice come from for these so called university professors. "Don't bite the hand that feeds you."

Let's thake the Iraq war report by british parliament ,it was a damning/scathing one in which led to the collosal blunder and destruction of a country.All former Prime Minister Tony Blair rebuttal is that the world is safer and better off because of this "blunder".Don't forget SG was also part of this coalition fighting this war as US President George Bush Jr, said "Either you are for us or against us". Guess which side SG chose? We sent our military in.. albeit in a supporting role but we are just as guilty.You will notice "our" media is playing down the hoohah.(Damage control).
Lastest news... US President Obama is delaying the withdrawal of the last 8400 troops still in Iraq.
This is worst than Vietnam. Watch this sunday's documentary on cna : Obama at war.

Finally another cliche, "POWER CORRUPTS, ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY."
Business as usual, let's move on as our leaders are apt to say. :)

Last edited:
Spiderman...Spiderman...the Amazing Spiderman... :)

Man and the animals are merely a passage and channel for food, a tomb for other animals, a haven for the dead, giving life by the death of others, a coffer full of corruption. Leonardo Da Vinci

Emphasis now shifted to "how come HK newspaper can fly UAV over our port?"

Main issue considered settled.

All we know so far is from that few pages of news reported by CNA and HK News...very quickly people jump into conclusion and go into witch hunting mode...

In the first place, did there not taking action by returning the bad product for repair?
Did the manufacturer not honouring their obligation to fix the faulty equipment?
Why the HK press so kaypo to spy on SMRT maintenance? What is the motive behind and who is funding their operation?
Is the train ordered from Kawasaki or Chinese manufacturer? If it's former, can you blame Thailand if your Toyota Vios breakdown?

It's common we want cheap...and we want big.....sometime you do get melon but most of the time you get silicon...so the important thing is to set the expectation right and have the fall back plan in place and learn the lesson and move on :lovegrin:

Is our port considered "Prohibited areas"?

Lastest today - It would seem SG has fired a retaliatory salvo by reporting HK's MTR under investigation of it's order of 93 trains from chinese supplier despite knowing SG's problem with the said trains.Meanwhile MTR's worker's union not satisfied with pay rise of only 3.7% when they asked for 7%.:what:

Taiwan trains sound dangerous nowadays...

And now LTA will pay SMRT $1 billion. Mind boggled. Market capitalisation of SMRT is just $2.35 billion.

They found a solution! They sold all the asset back to LTA and become an operator. :dunno:

Frankly, SMRT owns and runs it with LTA holding the whip and now LTA owns it with SMRT runs it. What have changed other than passing around the $$? To me, the government is openly acknowledging they don't have the right management team to run public services and only public has the ability. Can they confirm this?

I keep hearing about cost effective also. Can they tell us why it is more cost effective for private to run services? The only reasons I can find is their CEO is cheaper and they cut corners. :bsmilie:

Garment bear the cost of infrastructure, maintenance. Private operator earn the money.

Garmen want to earn more money, charge operator more and then operator charge to consumers. Lose lose for citizens.

Does not make sense at all.

Transport is public service and should be managed by the garmen in the first place. No reason to be privatize. Why must it make money? Why not just break even? Bench mark to HK for efficiency.

The privatized system is not working as there is no incentive for smrt to be efficient as a monopoly.

Read the news and seems like smrt is responsible for maintenance. But who bears the cost of maintenance?

If a train part spoil, repair or buy a new part to replace? Who bears the cost?

Either way, consumers will pay as the operators are profit driven monopoly with more incentive to earn money and less incentive to reduce cost.

My view is still - Public transport should not be privatized.

That is the biggest crock of crap I have ever read. Wait until they privatize jails. They will start putting you in jail for breathing air and charging you 49.95 a night for staying there. Court open only on Friday. Wait is 4 weeks for court. Profit is more important than people. (sarcasm)

Now this:

http://www.straitstimes.com/busines...asek-considering-buyout-offer-for-smrt-report

If public listed, one can check their annual reports and make noise. If government entity, one can also make noise. But once a private entity, it can be even more opaque in its operations and not answerable to anyone except Temasek Holdings. Man, this whole thing is getting from bad to worse, in my humble opinion.