Smooth Sky Gradient

Edisonn

Jan 23, 2010
Hi,

I've been shooting for quite some time, and for some reasons, i wasn't satisfied with my shots at all.

Recently, i managed to found out the problem with my photos. My skies do not have a smooth and catchy gradient.

How to achieve smooth sky gradient such as the one shown on this shot?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sayran/4127688281/sizes/l/in/photostream/

And also, i've noticed some shots having a well mixture of dark blue and light blue skies conjured by smooth gradients. How do people achieve those effects? Thanks!

i realised that especially after going through photoshop, i lost all those smooth gradients. It comes out as block of colors.

But i've no idea how to rectify, neither do i know what's wrong (hence can't google).

Are you shooting with RAW format for your photos?

I remember someone explained about RAW format somewhere here. Can do a search on it :)

I remember someone explained about RAW format somewhere here. Can do a search on it :)

Is it just me? I realised the search function don't work for me. When i keyed in RAW, nothing appeared. Same goes to common posts name like 'D90', 'Help'.

However, i did read up on RAW for quite a big. Some claim that it gives richer dynamic range. But i doubt i am at a level to appreciate it. For me right now, as i've opened a thread in the past and still haven't found a solution, my photoshop CS4 don't recognise my D90 RAW files even though its in the latest edition.

Well, that was digressing. I will try and read up more about RAW when i have the time. :D

if you see a smooth gradient, and you capture it, yes, if you compress it too much as jpg, it will band.

So it could be my camera compresses it that causes banding? Is there any functions on photoshop that would contribute too?

So it could be my camera compresses it that causes banding? Is there any functions on photoshop that would contribute too?

could be.

the more you photoshop a photo, the more likely it is to band..

Think of it as RAW mat, marinate heavily, marinte lightly? The end product will depends on how the marinting process is done.

(jpeg) Think of it as cooked meat, there's nothing much you can do to alter the taste except to add condiments.

Hope this analogy is correct and helps you in understanding.

JweiH , your explanation only makes me hungry.

Think of it as RAW mat, marinate heavily, marinte lightly? The end product will depends on how the marinting process is done.

(jpeg) Think of it as cooked meat, there's nothing much you can do to alter the taste except to add condiments.

Hope this analogy is correct and helps you in understanding.

Oh, thanks a lot! I will try out RAW next time. :D. Been using JPEG mostly and its time to change. :)

could be.

the more you photoshop a photo, the more likely it is to band..

I've seen your photos in the APAD and many photos are nice. So you don't do a lot of photoshopping?