Smoking ban extended

Status
Not open for further replies.

zcf

Apr 10, 2005
270 degree of Singapore
good news for non smokers, but without strong enforcement, things will remain the same...

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_313537.html
www.straitstimes.com said:
Smoking ban extended
By Jermyn Chow

FROM January 1, smokers will have to stub out in all hotel lobbies and 5 metres away from all entrances and exits of buildings.
The smoking ban will also cover almost all indoor places, with the inclusion of non-air-conditioned premises like lift lobbies, markets, multi-storey and basement carparks. Smoking will also be banned in outdoor areas like playgrounds and exercise areas.
The National Environment Agency (NEA) on Friday said it is widening the list of smoke-free places to keep the air cleaner and further protect the public from the harmful health effects of second-hand smoke.
The move is also in line with the World Health Organisation recommendations.
'The ban has been extended to indoor public places and lift lobbies because these are areas where public would find it hard to escape from second-hand smoke,' said the NEA.
'Entrances and exits to buildings and facilities where smoking is already prohibited were also included in the ban extension because feedback and checks on the ground have shown that smokers tend to congregate near these areas to smoke.'
Second-hand smoke, also known as 'environmental tobacco smoke or passive smoking', kills and scientific evidence shows that there is no safe level of exposure.
It can cause serious medical conditions including lung cancer, heart disease, asthma attacks, childhood respiratory disease, sudden infant death syndrom and reduced lung function.
Mr Lee Yuen Hee, Chief Executive Officer of the NEA, said on Friday: 'We are encouraged by the positive feedback from many individuals and families who support the extension of the smoking ban and appreciate the effort of smokers who have chosen not to light up in smoke-free areas, helping to promote clean air and good health.'
The NEA will be rolling out a series of publicity activities to inform the public of the extended ban. It has also conducted meetings and dialogues with various parties and will work with building and facilities managers to ensure smooth implementation of the ban.

total ban probably not, govn where to find replacement for loss in cigarette tax revenue?

We will probably see a total ban soon... in the near future. :bsmilie:

pretty unlikely...

But without proper enforcement, this is nothing to rave about.

unlikely for total ban....

the tax income from cig sales is too enticing for the govt to do that...

soon we will see smoking only allow inside the yellow box.

to shed another light, i guess their trying to be more resilient for the health of us singaporeans. we're already in the low birth rate syndrome remember? :D

but in anycase, even as a smoker myself, i support this decision.
the "sudden infant death syndrome" just sounded too cruel. :|

Well......most HDBs lifts have never failed to amaze me.........with smokers. They can't even wait for 2 mins before getting out of the lifts......or should finish smoking before entering it.

I wish some officers would do a random inspection on the lifts and wait for those smokers...not asking them to go to all HDB but just randoms ones.

I have never been to one HDB lifts without any smokers smoking in the lift. The sign stated do not smoke but I just do not understand you all smokers still smoke in the lift. Sometimes I think smokers do it deliberately. So many places they can smoke but just have to do it in the lift.

I hope they will lift the fine higher for smoking in lifts.

Well......most HDBs lifts have never failed to amaze me.........with smokers. They can't even wait for 2 mins before getting out of the lifts......or should finish smoking before entering it.

I wish some officers would do a random inspection on the lifts and wait for those smokers...not asking them to go to all HDB but just randoms ones.

I have never been to one HDB lifts without any smokers smoking in the lift. The sign stated do not smoke but I just do not understand you all smokers still smoke in the lift. Sometimes I think smokers do it deliberately. So many places they can smoke but just have to do it in the lift.

I hope they will lift the fine higher for smoking in lifts.
How does instant $10K fine + Court Session for ignoring any cigarette prohibition signs sounds? :thumbsup:

there will never be a total ban...

as much as i want it, there wont be a total ban... :cry:

Well....

I have never been to one HDB lifts without any smokers smoking in the lift.

This is a very sweeping statement...u mean every HDB lift you go into and u see a smoker smoking inside???? Then your assumption/observaton is wrong! I'm a smoker, but I abide by the rule!

This is a very sweeping statement...u mean every HDB lift you go into and u see a smoker smoking inside???? Then your assumption/observaton is wrong! I'm a smoker, but I abide by the rule!

It's not a sweeping statement but it has been a very bad habit by MOST smokers.

You maybe one of the very few to smoke in the lifts but remember this, that nobody cares about public property.

And yes, every HDB lifts that I go to from North to West to East and Central have either very bad smoke smell or used cigarate butts and SMOKERS smokes inside. You have not met those who do not care......about public property............

People who smokes in lift are really rare. Most people wont dare to do it as it is really inconsiderate.

however, an occassional uncle may do it. Probably they had a long beer session and just cant be bothered. They even dare to bring cig into lift, though may stop puffing. The mentality of why waste a good puff is still there.

You cant fully stop them and even with cameras they can hide their bud so well that nothing can be captured.

The government extended the non-smoking area to more places is very obvious for 1 reason, raise the cigg tax money again.

So that they can earn more for the recessions.

Why, cos many will never quit, and if more quit, the Government take the credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.