Smile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nissanmanic

Mar 13, 2010
Singapore (Ulu Pandan)
4918855110_ddfb59757d_b.jpg

1.in what area is critique to be sought?

I would generally like feedback on the composition, as not much post has been done w.r.t colors. But more importantly, I wish to know how you, as the viewer feel when you look at the photo above.

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

Trying to depict concepts of friendship, company and happiness. I would wish for the viewer to feel the genuine expression of the subject from the interaction with his friends.

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

Weather's pretty good that day, quite a number of keepers, this shot was taken towards the end of the walkabout. In fact, this was my first attempt at street candids as we walked towards Fullerton to view the Mobile Column's rehearsal runs.

As we were primarily shooting scenes (buildings/objects), chanced upon the bar, and I thought to myself, why not grab myself some candids?

Taken with Olympus E-520, 40-150mm F4.0-5.6.

4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

Generally felt that I captured a genuine smile and this photo is one of the keepers that really made my day.

This is already on my APAD, but there has been no response/feedback and I sincerely wish to get feedback in order to know what am I missing out on, how can I improve, etc.

Thanks for viewing. =)

Last edited:
4918855110_ddfb59757d_b.jpg

1.in what area is critique to be sought?

I would generally like feedback on the composition, as not much post has been done w.r.t colors. But more importantly, I wish to know how you, as the viewer feel when you look at the photo above.

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

Trying to depict concepts of friendship, company and happiness. I would wish for the viewer to feel the genuine expression of the subject from the interaction with his friends.

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

Weather's pretty good that day, quite a number of keepers, this shot was taken towards the end of the walkabout. In fact, this was my first attempt at street candids as we walked towards Fullerton to view the Mobile Column's rehearsal runs.

As we were primarily shooting scenes (buildings/objects), chanced upon the bar, and I thought to myself, why not grab myself some candids?

Taken with Olympus E-520, 40-150mm F3.5-5.6.

4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

Generally felt that I captured a genuine smile and this photo is one of the keepers that really made my day.

This is already on my APAD, but there has been no response/feedback and I sincerely wish to get feedback in order to know what am I missing out on, how can I improve, etc.

Thanks for viewing. =)

generally i think the weight of the photo is slightly unbalanced... the two guys on the right are too much to the right and then theres a big space (white space and all) between the woman and the two guys..

maybe you could have balanced it out slightly by taking from the left abit more..

also the smile of the center guy is nice, but i think it would have been better to capture more than one face.. the other two can't see.. so not impactful.. doesn't give the feeling that you would have liked about frenship and company and happiness..

if not, then an upclose shot of the center guy smiling would have been more impactful..

thats my take~!!

Hi enzeru21! Thanks for the comments and feedback! Have noted them down and hopefully will be able to try out the next time I shoot.

For this particular photo, I feel that the center guy's "framed" by his company, the interaction's quite subtle in his company, but you could still tell their convo's a happy one from the faint facial expressions from the eyes of the RHS guy and the cheeks of the lady.

Do agree that if I had moved a little to the LHS, the guy will be more centralised, perhaps making for a better photo, but the moment might have been lost. Need to think a bit faster next time round! =).

Thanks once again for your comment.

Last edited:
bump. please feel free to comment, photography is fun because there're many ways to view the same subject. would like to receive more feedback. thanks! =)

from a beginner:

i thought the picture's composition was okay, and you've definitely captured that moment in happiness among the folks.

still, the space between the lady and subject IMO resulted in an 'isolation' of the lady.
adding on to this factor would be the lady looking away from the men, with the subject looking at the other man on the right. [i hope you get my point :)]

nonetheless, i thought the intended impact wouldve come out stronger should the composition be adjusted just so slightly.

my 0.00002c worth :)

Cheers

Hi Fapic! Thanks for the comments!

now that you've pointed it out, yes, the lady does feel a little isolated. good point and i have taken note.

Thanks! =)

I really liked your photo. I think that the "spur of the moment" street photography, limited you in getting the perfect shot, but just the same, what you managed to capture, conveyed a mood of relaxed friendship and camaraderie.

The eye naturally goes to the man in the centre and his smile is most effective in portraying the mood. You can also catch glimpses of the same mood from the other two on either side. The fact that the lady appears to be isolated may be because of the angle that the shot was taken, but when you look at her face, she is definitely not isloated from the conversation.

Well done!

Hi Raydio! Thanks for the encouragement! Street photography is very engaging for the photog and I really like shooting streets. the last trip i went, couldn't get anything much. but that's streets, never know what'll get from a trip. Thanks once again for your comments and for viewing =)

Status
Not open for further replies.