Slides Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinoy

Jan 17, 2002
ClubSNAP East
www.flickr.com
Okay.. I've been hearing too much about Slides Photography that it has come to a point where I'm damn curious about it, and itching to give it a try.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what the hell that thing is, what I would need to get started etc.

• I currently have an Olympus IS300 SLR. Can I use this beast? Any idea how it would fare when used with slides?
  • What film should I buy?
  • What kind of subjects is slides best for? Can I use it for portrait shots?
  • What should I do after taking shots?
Please shed some light to this poor soul. ;)

:Later,

Your Oly can handle slides. I'd recommend Fuji Provia 100F or 400F. Kodak's Elite chrome extra colour may be cheaper. You can use it for any subject but watch the contrast. If there is too much contrast or raw sunlight, the highlights will be washed out and shadows will be blocked (black). After taking shots? ... get it processed of course. You can ask for mounts or no mounts. If you have a slide projector, you have to mount slides to project them.

Thanks for the head up, guys! Will be getting a roll each of Fuji Velvia and Kodak Elitechrome Extra Color 100 to give it a try. :)

:Later,

I think I found out to my own dismay, if you're shooting indoors without flash, you might like to get some colour correction filters (I can't remember what to what.).

Velvia is a great film, but remember it's ISO-50 which means mosty still life, macro and landscape. For your kid, I'd recommend Provia 400F instead of 100F if you are shooting indoors. Its higher speed allows the usual faster shutter speed and smaller aperture. In addition, it is very different from all other 400 speed slide films on the market - it is extremely fine grained and on a projected slide I can't tell the difference between 400F and a 100 speed slide film like Elite chrome.

Personally, I avoid all Kodak slide film except Elite chrome extra colour (becoz it's cheap). Regular ektachrome has a nice straight like characteristic curve, but it is terribly grainy and colours are washed out. The worst film I've ever used is Ektachrome 400.

Status
Not open for further replies.