Singapore Flyer- how to shoot onboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find the gorillapod pretty flimsy, more suitable for compacts or prosumers for the larger one.

Have you actually used it or is it merely impressions?

I was at TK one day and they were using it to support a D200 with a 17-55 f/2.8, so it's no joke.

come to think of it neither do i know the TS's set-up... :sweat:

but i hope it'll be of use to at least some peps here.

In the room before you head on board, there's a green room with the railing flash setup. Get your picture taken there, it looks better :D

I find the gorillapod pretty flimsy, more suitable for compacts or prosumers for the larger one.
With a wide angle and a camera such as 40D, I think this one will hold up quite nice on a railing.
gp3_300.jpg
SLR-Zoom...

With a wide angle and a camera such as 40D, I think this one will hold up quite nice on a railing.
gp3_300.jpg
SLR-Zoom...

For the record, the railing of the capsule is located close to the glass on the front & rear side of which the views would most likely be the steel structure of the flyer and the neighboring capsules. And due to the small space between the railing and the window, only compact or short lenses can be attached to the camera if you plan to use the gorillapod. And besides, the view is on the side of the flyer which the door is located. So the tripod is necessary unless you're willing to place the gorillapod on the floor and have difficulty in the viewfinder.

I don't know what the official stance is, but I brought in my tripod and the staff said nothing. It was a weekend evening (considered peak hours), and still no attempt to stop me. I didn't hide the tripod or anything.
Caused quite a spectacle, using the tripod, flashgun and IR remote trigger :bsmilie:

The photos produced by them on their simulated capsule (with the expensive lighting set-up) are REALLY horrible. It looks so fake.

Tripod + fill-in flash + slower shutter speed is the way to go, I reckon! :)

Polariser is gd but not necessary. If only the stains on the glass are absent it'll be a lot easier.

i'm not sure, but someone mentioned earlier on that no tripods are allowed in the cabin. maybe you can try sneaking in a monopod.

in any case, i don't really think a polariser is going to help you any - first the glass cuts out light, and you still want to add something more to give yourself shutter speed hand holding trouble? the solution is simple during the day, just smack your lens bang onto the glass, that will cut out almost all of the reflections and hopefully give you limited trouble with the glass stains.

Hi all, just to share my noob shots taken from the flyer with CPL on 17-40. maybe I am lucky that there aren't many water stains on the capsule. ;)

2745726780_81d98c4745.jpg

2745728654_143fae020d.jpg

This is a sample shot with my Pod..A100 with VG + Sigma28-70f2.8.

2728589212_fd88b43cc2_o.jpg

Bring whatever you think will help you to get a good shot..

Erm, kind-of a summary from my experience when I went on the flyer.

1. No, the flyer does NOT stop at all, even when people need to get on board. The flyer is just slow enough to let all the passengers [2 to 28] to enter a cabin when it reaches the 'base'. Don't believe? Look from the garden below. No need to pay to observe.

2. No tripods allowed. BUT, there's railings at the side. Gorrilapods are your best bet. If you have a minipod [enough to support your camera], maybe you could set it up on the floor of the cabin. [hey, you're elevated.] Otherwise, you can place your camera on the floor and shoot.

3. You'll get a lot of glare / reflection when shooting inside the cabin. Polarizer filter is recommended.

4. Flight is normally ~30 minutes. Take some time to bask in the awesomeness of the magnificent view.

Hope this helps!

Have you actually used it or is it merely impressions?

I was at TK one day and they were using it to support a D200 with a 17-55 f/2.8, so it's no joke.

Used of cos. Didn't feel safe with it literally, my equipment is more impt.

Erm, kind-of a summary from my experience when I went on the flyer.

1. No, the flyer does NOT stop at all, even when people need to get on board. The flyer is just slow enough to let all the passengers [2 to 28] to enter a cabin when it reaches the 'base'. Don't believe? Look from the garden below. No need to pay to observe.

2. No tripods allowed. BUT, there's railings at the side. Gorrilapods are your best bet. If you have a minipod [enough to support your camera], maybe you could set it up on the floor of the cabin. [hey, you're elevated.] Otherwise, you can place your camera on the floor and shoot.

3. You'll get a lot of glare / reflection when shooting inside the cabin. Polarizer filter is recommended.

4. Flight is normally ~30 minutes. Take some time to bask in the awesomeness of the magnificent view.

Hope this helps!

For your first point, it DOES completely stop when elderly people need to get on board or off, as quoted earlier.

Juz to clarify a few things here;

1) Tripod and camera bag are ALLOWED. However other large (non camera) bags are not allowed.

2) When shooting during the "magic hour" which is around 7:15 to 7:30pm, use tripod (no need to extend) and shoot through the lower/bottom half of the cabin. The top half is dirty most of the time.

I did it only once and have no more intention to ride it again. Nothing so special....

Boost ISO and press your cam against the glass for added stability and you can get some decent shots.
Attached a hand held shot at 200mm of the NDP rehearsal while i was up there.
Please note image processed to give it a miniature effect :bsmilie:

101500103.jpg

do you take us for idiots?? :cool:

newbies?

tripod legs to the glass walls for support & shoot. floors are not the oni form suport. a small tripod will do in most cases, unless got huge lense.

Status
Not open for further replies.