Singapore customer services not up to standard

not only Singapore but other countries also...
but for my personal experience, singapore's customer isn't that bad...like in the western countries, server/waiters are soooo nice because they know they deserved a 10% tip...but here in our country, they still deliver a kind of service that is acceptable with zero tip except their salaries...

but i am sure CS customers are really nice people....haha

The concept of customer is king is flawed. If you can't behave, don't expect good service. You are also giving a bad example to your child and that will affect their future.

Try to service yorself first.

Seriously. Good service? Which one of the below is paramount to be considered good service to you? Meaning if you had to choose 1?
a) Efficiency?
b) Smile?
c) Courteous?
d) Cheap price/Discounts/Value for money/Freebies?
e) Flexibility?
f) Personalised?
g) Quality?
h) Others

Different products/services against different buying powers mean different expectations to what constitutes as "good service" to different people.
An affluent person buying a luxury item may prefer Efficiency and Personalisation while a less affluent buying the same luxury item may prefer quality and price/discount/freebie. Same item, different expectations, different yard-sticks.
A less fussy buyer of noodles may rate quality highest. (nice taste, consistency etc)
A more fussy buyer of noodles may rate personalisation highest (no tau geh, more vinegar etc)

If we get what we want, do we applaud or compliment? Or do we just say "it's expected", like its our god-given right?
Why must it be "beyond the call of duty" to be considered "good service", like in P.M. Lee's examples? You mean not going beyond means not good enough?

Until we, as a society, learn to recognise, remark and reward good service, forget about receiving/demanding for it.

There are always those customers who think their money is king and thou shall be a slave to them.
Those people are real nasty...

If you feel the service standard of a particular store is lacking, just walk away. No need to fuss about it and create a ruckus. If it's a restaurant, take it as lesson learnt and don't comeback. Create awareness for others and let them judge for themselves.

At the end of the day, if no customer, such business will fold. Simple.

Sometimes the problem is that people's ego gets the better of them.

Last edited:
It's sad, but the service industry in Singapore is realistic. Unless customers readily give tips, those waiters and waitress will just perform minimum service standard. Unlike the Japanese culture...

I just want the aunties/uncles to smile back whenever I smile to them when I order my kaya toast in hawker centers..

Is this considered too much by Singapore's standard?

I just want the aunties/uncles to smile back whenever I smile to them when I order my kaya toast in hawker centers..
Is this considered too much by Singapore's standard?
Yes, these aunties / uncles might get it wrong and think you are up to something fishy if you suddenly smile at them.

Yes, these aunties / uncles might get it wrong and think you are up to something fishy if you suddenly smile at them.

Sigh.. must be something wrong with my smile.

$578765.jpg

Everyone need to learn from Japanese...their service is impeccable ;p

The myth about Japanese being polite and hard working. Maybe those have direct experiences working with them or living with them.can share?

To me, every culture has its different way of expressing themselves. Of course among them, there will be bad apples with some having more due to various reasons. Most are related to ones living standard and survival.

Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country. JFK

Service. It starts in the home. Respect. My opinion. :cool:

Last edited:
Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country. JFK

Service. It starts in the home. Respect. My opinion. :cool:

I agree! you want to get treated fairly? treat others fairly 1st, if you want to get respected? respect other 1st.... Our parents and school plays a huge role in molding us and who we are now....