Singapore airforce?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumball

Jul 8, 2003
Always see this flying in the sky above Hougang. Shot with my 180mm macro lens;p .

Hougang-13Jul.jpg

C130... :sweat:

What does C130 mean?

I must educate you in taking airplane shots. The belly shot is about the worst angle an aviation photographer can ever shoot an aircraft from. I think the avian photogs would think likewise when shooting their feathered subjects too.

It's better to go farther from the approach path of the aircraft and try to gain a bit of side profile. Probably best to shoot the aircraft when it's at a lower altitude too. You'll usually need a longer lens than a 180mm macro. And as the aircraft is in constant motion, a zoom will come in handy.

Nice try though... the Charlies have always been a favorite subject of mine.

sumball said:
What does C130 mean?

It's the model of the airplane...

Lockheed C-130 Hercules. Don't know whether it's a B or H model though.

Thanks Terence for the explanation and the lesson. Was shooting butterflies and this plane kept flying above me so decided to give it a try.

Will try again with my tele lens then.

Cheers!

Terence said:
I must educate you in taking airplane shots. The belly shot is about the worst angle an aviation photographer can ever shoot an aircraft from. I think the avian photogs would think likewise when shooting their feathered subjects too.

Any reason why is this so?

It's the equilvalent to a butt shot. I suppose it's not flattering to take a shot of the subject's underside.

Why not? I've seen a few pictures in magazines that shows the aircraft undercarriage. It helps to show the landing gear before it is retracted or lowered while taking off or landing. And there are butt shots that are taken for fashion portraits featured in magazines too.

Undercarriage shots give the impression of looking up at aircraft.

Terence said:

It's better to go farther from the approach path of the aircraft and try to gain a bit of side profile. Probably best to shoot the aircraft when it's at a lower altitude too. You'll usually need a longer lens than a 180mm macro. And as the aircraft is in constant motion, a zoom will come in handy.

Nice try though... the Charlies have always been a favorite subject of mine.

How not to show the bottom when you are on the ground and the plane up in the air? Unless like fighters which can fly upside down...

Never mind, forget i ever brought it up...

Lol... well, terence is giving his comments. He's just trying to help.

Cool down everyone. Terence was just sharing his experience and there must be the reason for not shooting the belly of the aircraft in this way as he pointed out that same like shooting butt, some wants to parrallel the film plane so that everything in focus and sharp but some may prefer to have shallow DOF...

Anyway, thanks to icarus, Terence, kelccm, Pro-New, seng44 and the award winner, eikin;p . The C130 is that cold? I have never had experience in one...:embrass:

Terence said:
I must educate you in taking airplane shots.

maybe it's only this phrase..sounds... :sweat:

skyflash said:
Probably it does not have a compressed cabin.

I think C-130s cabin are not pressurized and no sound insulation around it. Had the opportunity to fly in a C130. Cool... :) Noisy though.

C130 is it is design to do air-drop missions eg Parachute jumps, Halos or air dropping equipments. Rugged aircraft.

Well, I'm opening my big mouth again... Let's see how I can phrase this... You wouldn't normally see shots of the underside of an automobile, it's generally considered uninteresting, this applies to airplanes too.

I'm speaking from the point of view of an aviation spotter/photographer/enthusiast. I suppose regular folks wouldn't mind as much but it's a pet peeve of mine to see such belly shots.

If you were to speak to a hardcore nature photog and show him a shot of a kingfisher shot from underneath, I'm sure he'd have a few things to say about the angle too.

Someone mentioned the loss of details in areas of the airplane covered by a shadow. To overcome that, shoot either in the early morning or late afternoon when the low sun angle lights up most of the side profile of the subject. By shooting directly underneath, you tend to get only the dark belly, whatever time of day it is. Best to move out a little farther. My favorite angle is a quarter side on type shot... like this one...

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/583799/L/ or
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/583803/L/

It's shot in the late evening for effect.

Click on my gallery link, you'd see lots of other examples like the one above.

Hi Terence, what range of lenses do you use to capture these excellent shots?

OT: When is the next RSAF openhouse huh?? :dunno:

icarus said:
Hi Terence, what range of lenses do you use to capture these excellent shots?

OT: When is the next RSAF openhouse huh?? :dunno:

Normally in Sept, but this year there are some aerial/military display at Marina South. So not sure will there be any open house this year.

Check this out
Event

Status
Not open for further replies.