Sing, Choirs of Angels

Status
Not open for further replies.
to me, i love flares, dun ask me why, but if i can get flare in a shot, i'll make flare in the shot... haha... but not those uncontrollable type, mine is within control type.

this pic if i was to nitpik, probably is the cropping is too tight... and choirs of angels, only 1 thou... should be Choir of Angel?

to me, i love flares, dun ask me why, but if i can get flare in a shot, i'll make flare in the shot... haha... but not those uncontrollable type, mine is within control type.

this pic if i was to nitpik, probably is the cropping is too tight... and choirs of angels, only 1 thou... should be Choir of Angel?

Lol. He's the conductor, lah. Do you feel that this flare is uncontrollable?

08fc16f18461c2f5f0172d7a24f8054c%7E0.jpg

well, if stop down and flash this conductor, maybe... but i know he will sure kill u for sure if he is distracted... along with the hordes of listeners.

You know calebk, after reading all other replies, it comes down to the fact that it might just be about personal preferences. I understand what you're trying to portray here; and although I may not be in favour of this shot, I avoid as much to dwell on the flaws of the subject. You have something to show, but I feel there's something lacking which I dont know what, due to my little experience here. Perhaps its about the blurrness or sharpness, or the tilted figure or the flare, or the wrong choice of camera body or even lens...? For all you know, there's another similar photo out there, but with a lot of appreciating viewers.

I think art is most definitely a subjective topic. Consider this winning entry for wildlife photographer of the year in 2007. I bet some of you will violently object to its win since there is not a single subject in focus. :bsmilie:

What styles and techniques are they ??
What is YOUR definition of photojournalism? Perhaps you are a journalist and think you have a better understanding of that term. Care to share your winning photos (perhaps something you shot in a war torn country) and precious thoughts?

Last edited:
What is YOUR definition of photojournalism? Perhaps you are a journalist and think you have a better understanding of that term. Care to share your winning photos (perhaps something you shot in a war torn country) and precious thoughts?

Man whats your problem.
All i did was ask a question, which i would like to know some different opinions, which i am open to.

It's bad when ur critique thread becomes a dispute thread for others

There is no "WOW" factor in the photo. Personally I found the flaring too much, perhaps you can stand a little to your left (one step left?). The picture IMO will turn out a better one.

Dude, the photo works for me ;)
I think converting it to a B&W photo was a good idea! see some "vignetting" at the top and abit on the sides which creates a frame for the conductor. Ngeeanncity over his shoulder is fine because it's a photojournalistic approach. Can picture it in a photo book with that photo.
The flare was fine, it didnt give me a sense of majestic but i thought it created a glorious look.
Do agree that the shot isnt a typical technically shot because i think you wanted to show how people in worship are? is it?

:thumbsup: for me

I like the subject here, the conductor really looks like he is totally immersed in the music, and in the wonderful message of christmas. personally i would prefer a tighter crop to fill the frame more, eliminate the background clutter of ngee ann city, reduce the bright spot at the bottom, and to balance out the tight framing at the top of his left hand. b&w seems a bit too austere for this shot, so would probably like to add a hint of colour to the shot as well.

e.g.
08fc16f18461c2f5f0172d7a24f8054c_rev_1.jpg

OT....there are 9 angelic choirs, the angels are the lowest choir. :)

the flare is fine.

the cropped hand is not.

i thought a wider view would have worked fine here, along with a certain amount of contrast adjustments.

Status
Not open for further replies.