Simply Kelly

Can anyone explain in details, what it means by Taiwanese Style/feel?

Yah, the first time I heard about Taiwan feel. What is that?

I think it's the look & feel of the pictures you usually see in Taiwan fashion prints / ads / mags (for teens especially).

I personally feel it's almost similar with the Korean / Japan style.. You know, bright pastel tones, model with cute looks, playful outfit & make ups, etc..

(Don't ask what Korean / Japan style is LOL)

Taiwan / Korean / Japan style, I don't know. Kongo style... I know!!!! hahaha.

Maybe it's indoor shoot so cannot feel like tw... Haha. Anyway nice sets just that the makeup failed. :p

Thanks all for your reply. The styles which Taiwanese photographers shoot are totally different from what we have in Singapore. Malaysia style is more closer to Taiwanese style.
I guess i am not really up to this style as i am more towards high fashion kind of shoot. Hope to learn from the pros here.. especially our Bro Kongo. :)

You are too humble lah bro, I hv loads to learn from you..

Thanks all for your reply. The styles which Taiwanese photographers shoot are totally different from what we have in Singapore. Malaysia style is more closer to Taiwanese style.
I guess i am not really up to this style as i am more towards high fashion kind of shoot. Hope to learn from the pros here.. especially our Bro Kongo. :)

Talking about taiwanese style, I am not sure how to define it, but the easiest way to find out is to take a look at the pics in those CD albums of taiwanese singers like 陈绮贞,梁文音 etc

One category is those sweety cutey pastel color bright eyes type of portraiture as mentioned by others above.. (OK I admit my style can be roughly grouped under this category..lolz )

Another type is those mild contrast, faded, 逆光 style which aims to project FEEL..
One example of this style can be referenced to this great series posted by hayashilim:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/portraits-poses/774438-capri.html

That's the thread which pulled me to join bro colorfulfaces shoot when Capri n other malaysia models come to singapore.. hehe

And yes, the style is probably quite close to what commonly known as Jap/Korean style..
And also quite popular in mainland china too..

Talking about taiwanese style, I am not sure how to define it, but the easiest way to find out is to take a look at the pics in those CD albums of taiwanese singers like 陈绮贞,梁文音 etc

One category is those sweety cutey pastel color bright eyes type of portraiture as mentioned by others above.. (OK I admit my style can be roughly grouped under this category..lolz )

Another type is those mild contrast, faded, 逆光 style which aims to project FEEL..
One example of this style can be referenced to this great series posted by hayashilim:

That's the thread which pulled me to join bro colorfulfaces shoot when Capri n other malaysia models come to singapore.. hehe

And yes, the style is probably quite close to what commonly known as Jap/Korean style..

Yes bro, you are absolutely right. Btw i like Hayashi works.
Thanks

Very nice pics. Now you dont organise shoots anymore, we get to enjoy these personal shots of yours :) Mind sharing the lighting, how you get those soft, even, "white" light, with hardly any shadows, indoors?

Last edited:
John moved from speedlites to monolight and beauty dish from what I know.

Very nice pics. Now you dont organise shoots anymore, we get to enjoy these personal shots of yours :) Mind sharing the lighting, how you get those soft, even, "white" light, with hardly any shadows, indoors?

Thanks bro. It was a hotel shoot and for this shoot, i use only 1 speedlight with the gary fong diffuser facing a wall. I also place a board behind the flash to prevent any light spilling in front which might cause the shadow.
My method might not be correct but during that shoot, it turned out quite well.

John moved from speedlites to monolight and beauty dish from what I know.

Bro, you are half right. I used the Alienbees strobe with the mola or deep octa most of the time now but speedlight is useful as well and i still bring them with me and they might come in useful.

Thank you, bro Kongo. After going through your explanation and looking through Capri shots by Hayashi, I concluded that the Taiwan-feel is as follows:

1) Warmer colors
2) Sharp image with faded colors
3) Nice use of flares

Did I sum it up correctly? ;p

DiGi-ME

Great shots and i like the lashes and the contacts. To each its own, i guess. Always wanted to shoot Kelly, but no fate. Schedule misaligned.