Similan Islands (Thailand)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bariq

Dec 6, 2004
Kallang
www.pbase.com
This week i had the chance to visit Similan islands in thailand, one of the best snorkelling and dive spots in the world. Locals there say that the coral reefs became more clean n clear after the Tsunami, suprisingly the coral reefs survived the Tsunami. Nature has its own way of cleaning and preserving.

Some pics to share...

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

More at www.pbase.com/bariq/similan

barracuda said:
was the weather not very good? it seemed quite cloudy in some shots.

Hot until we visited the first island then got cloudy n later rained... If my pics are dark then i say its my laptop monitor ;) I dont have a calibrated monitor

uploaded some panaroma's ;) Need to do more PP as there is some ghost image in some parts, but too lazy n tired..

corrected picture :)
original.jpg

original.jpg

wow waters look really clear.... (for the first three shots)... the pana photo's waters look different though...

how come the fishing rod has a double image? er i think the it must be the photostitching ;p

btw really must pardon me... but the island's name reminds me of a hokkien word :embrass:

lumen said:
wow waters look really clear.... (for the first three shots)... the pana photo's waters look different though...

how come the fishing rod has a double image? er i think the it must be the photostitching ;p

btw really must pardon me... but the island's name reminds me of a hokkien word :embrass:

Lol the first pics are from different island, and the panaroma is from phuket called gypsy village. Similan got its name from sembilan which means 9 in malay, yeah i know what you meant in hokkien hehehe but cant help liao.

Regarding fishing rod i think that guy moved the fishing rod and in stiching it came like that.. will try to take it off n stich again.

Thanks for looking

Seems quite crowded...

I went to the Racha Island by Coral Seekers last time i was in Phuket. Less people, only me and my gf then. :)

how to go to similan? did u take boat from phuket? how is the price after tsunami?

nice place..

nemesis32 said:
Seems quite crowded...

I went to the Racha Island by Coral Seekers last time i was in Phuket. Less people, only me and my gf then. :)

Similan and phiphi are very popular snorkelling destinations, so obviously can see many ppl, but the locals are saying lesser people after the tsunami.

hi5 said:
how to go to similan? did u take boat from phuket? how is the price after tsunami?

nice place..

Yeah similan is around 90kms away from phuket. We travelled to the last point towards the north of phuket island and took a 3 motor power boat from there. Costed around 75sgd per head, which includes visits to 4 islands and lunch.

Regarding phuket i think the price remains the same on the beaches of panwa. Only patong and the beaches around it got effected. Now if you goto phuket you wont beleive that it was hit by tsunami, almost all the shops and hotels on the beach which were destroyed are reconstructed.

Shot from the car, a bit shallow dof
original.jpg

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.