Silly qns: If u're shooting vertical without a vertical grip batt pack...

Is ur right hand on top or bottom?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystix

Jan 18, 2002
Planet Earth
Visit site
is ur right hand on the top or bottom?
hee juz curious...is there a correct way of holding?

I'd hold it on top but only because I find it more comfortable that way. Other's may prefer the bottom. I believe that there's no right or wrong method in this, just what is more comfortable and stable for you.

it would definitely be more natural to have your right hand holding the camera from the top while your left hand cradle the lens from the bottom. That's assuming that you are a right hander.

Originally posted by Mystix
is ur right hand on the top or bottom?
hee juz curious...is there a correct way of holding?
Like most other photographers, I usually find it much more comfortable to grip the camera with my right hand (shutter press finger) on top and my left hand supporting the lens barrel below.

However, with small lightweight digicams, I actually find it more natural to rotate the camera clockwise instead because there isn't really any lens barrel to hold and it's better to use the left hand to prop the bottom of the camera up so that it stays upright.

So... it really depends on the individual photographer as well as the form factor of the camera in question.

I believe that it is all a matter of personal peference.

Some of us would feel more comfortable with a weight below while othrs are more comfortable with a weight above.

Me? I prefer my camera below because of a wrist problem which I have.

It should be more natural for most people to have the right hand on top since the wrist is straight. To hold it at the bottom would require the wrist to be bent at 90degs in order to get the horizon level....some people can't do that at all.;p

Now this question is bugging my wife for the longest time, how come consumer cams in Portrait format (vertical) all camera seem to be on the horizontal (landscape) format? Looks like only in 135format only 'pro' cams have the option in portrait grip! ;(

hope me not the only odd person using the right hand at the bottom....but instead of pressing the shutter with the index, i use me thumb. i find it very comfortable enough to snap with one hand. try it :)

Originally posted by Belle&Sebastain
Now this question is bugging my wife for the longest time, how come consumer cams in Portrait format (vertical) all camera seem to be on the horizontal (landscape) format? Looks like only in 135format only 'pro' cams have the option in portrait grip! ;(

Frankly speaking, I don't understand what you trying to ask? :p

Originally posted by Daniel

Frankly speaking, I don't understand what you trying to ask? :p

I thinking what he is trying to say is why is it that only pro 35mm SLR cameras come with vertical grips?!

Actualyl I am thinking of changing my 505si to a Dynax 5 or 7 just for the vertical grip. I find it very uncomfortable to shoot with a tilted hand over the top especially with a program flash and huge zoom lens at max focal length. It makes so much sense to have a vertical grip with a second shutter button. But my 505si does not allow me to attach one.......:(

I find the vertical shutter release a VERY useful tool. It makes taking pics in the portrait format so much steadier and a lot more comfortable.

Originally posted by SzennyBoy
I find the vertical shutter release a VERY useful tool. It makes taking pics in the portrait format so much steadier and a lot more comfortable.

True true.........I would definitely like a change of body but as usual finance is a problem..............:D

it depends...especially if u are shooting with flash. tilting gripless with flash can result in 180 degree change in direction of where the flash is coming from. even with grip but when i want the flash light to come from the right hand side i will still use the contorted right wrist position.(not the other right hand chicken wing position)
cheers

Originally posted by clive
it depends...especially if u are shooting with flash. tilting gripless with flash can result in 180 degree change in direction of where the flash is coming from. even with grip but when i want the flash light to come from the right hand side i will still use the contorted right wrist position.(not the other right hand chicken wing position)
cheers

With or without grip, the flash will still be rotated by 90 degrees. That's where a swivel head is useful for directing the flash. Or a bracket if u want a more conventional positioning of the flash gun.

Depending on whether I have a stroboframe fixed on.... if no, normally i prefer to have the right hand on top and left hand at the bottom of the lens barrel.

where is the option to vote for "I dont hold the camera, my butler hold it for me" ? :bsmilie:

It depends really, especially if i have a flash mounted on the hotshoe, on where I want my shadows. Or if I want my shadows

No poll for both ways?
I depend on situation, sometime top, sometime bottom.
If on monopod, will be top.

according to this, your right hand should be at the bottom.

handhold_5_450.jpg

from Nikonians.org

to me, right hand at the top is more natural. maybe it's just for nikon users. :D

i dun tink there is a correct way...as long as u are comfortable and it stable...who cares..

Status
Not open for further replies.