Silica gel

Status
Not open for further replies.

IamJeFfy

Apr 15, 2002
hi guys

i have bought a air tight container and bott of silica gel to store some of my cameras. and my question is what is the 'proper usage' for the silica gel? i pour in about 10-20% of the silica gel into the container and kept locked. after 2 days i find that all the gels become purplish.

is this normal or am i using it wrongly?

please advice, thanks!

hi guys

i have bought a air tight container and bott of silica gel to store some of my cameras. and my question is what is the 'proper usage' for the silica gel? i pour in about 10-20% of the silica gel into the container and kept locked. after 2 days i find that all the gels become purplish.

is this normal or am i using it wrongly?

please advice, thanks!

Should have poured the whole bottle. As it is air-tight, the gel shouldn't turn purple within 2 days. Turning purplish means the container is not tight enough and that the gel have absorbed the moisture and becoming less effective. Everytime, it turns purplish you have to microwave or fry them over low heat to get rid of the moisture. Leave them to cool down before you put the gel back to the air tight container. It would be better if u get an electric dry cabinet will do a good job. It's much cheaper than your equipment and you can have peace of mind. Besides, the electricity cost is very minimal.

FYI, Silica Gel contain Cobalt Chloride as a blue indicator for humidity. Cobalt Chloride is carcinogen.

There is an orange silica gel, which is not contain cobalt chloride (and not carcinogen), but here in Singapore I don't think you can find it.

Buy Dry-Cab. Better safe than sorry.

Regards,
Arto.

Status
Not open for further replies.