Sigma SD10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enrieco

Aug 20, 2003
Hi all:

Just wondering whether any of you are using or have used this cam? Hows the image quality? And how much is the cam cost?

Interested to know as this is the only cam, apart from SD9, that uses Foveon X3 image sensor; claimed to be able to capture more details as there are R-G-B photodetectors at each pixel location :p

The only info that i have would be the price: Seen it going @ $2688 during Photo & Imaging Asia.

This thread on dpreview somewhat summarises the advantage the foveon sensor has over Bayer senors:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1027&message=7067679

Follow the discussion to where Mike Chaney makes comparison shots between a 10D and a SD10. Now... That's what they call Full Colour!

tert

Max Photo selling it at $2,800+. Comes in a kit with 2 lenses - 18-50mm/f3.5-5.6 & 55-200mm/f4-5.6

Probably cheaper elsewhere.

Enrieco said:
Hi all:

Just wondering whether any of you are using or have used this cam? Hows the image quality? And how much is the cam cost?

Interested to know as this is the only cam, apart from SD9, that uses Foveon X3 image sensor; claimed to be able to capture more details as there are R-G-B photodetectors at each pixel location :p

Well, yes and no. In theory, each photosite (ie, each pixel sensor ) senses all 3 colors instead of just 1, so it SHOULD produce truer colors. But in reality, the implementation is fraught with problems, and in many cases, it's results are no better than good old Bayer sensors, which as you know interpolates ( or guesses ) 2 colors out of 3 at every photosite. In fact, there are many cases where the Sigma introduces artifacts in the final image. Whether its a X3 problem or a Sigma problem is anybody's guess. The thing is that Bayer is getting very mature, and all the various companies have refined and further refined the interpolation algo that it is pretty accurate, as can be seen by the countless fantastic photos taken using Bayer sensors posted on the web. Sometimes, a good, calculated estimate is better than a poor measurement.

Remember also that the Foveon X3 is actually a 3.4 MP sensor ( it has 10+ million sensors arranged in 3 layers to give it 3.4 million photosites/pixels ). So in terms of resolution, sharpness and details, it might match, but is unlikely to be better than a real 6 MP sensor with 6 million actual pixels.

There's a raging debate going on in rec.photo.digital, and while most agree that there are some cases that X3 can produce good results, there are also many cases when Bayer sensors are superior. At least for now.

Finally, since Sigma is the only company using this X3 sensor, and they've stupidly limited you to only using Sigma mount lenses, it means you have only 1 source of body,lenses and flashes. Not exactly an attractive option. I've handled the SD10, and while it feels big and solid, it's also way too bulky for my hands ( and probably for most Asian hands ). I just can't get a good grip on the oversized handgrip. So ergonomics wise, I'll not rate it high either.

You can read the SD9 review at www.dpreview.com for more details.

yup, it's true, I feel that it is not so ergonomics, tried handling it a few days ago... it's too bulky for my hand

maybe it's better if we just wait for 1-2 years and let the X3 technology matured 1st, or wait till Nikon/Oly/Canon or other big names in this industry use X3 sensor :p (Might not happen, though...)

Enrieco said:
yup, it's true, I feel that it is not so ergonomics, tried handling it a few days ago... it's too bulky for my hand

maybe it's better if we just wait for 1-2 years and let the X3 technology matured 1st, or wait till Nikon/Oly/Canon or other big names in this industry use X3 sensor :p (Might not happen, though...)

Unfortunately, at the rate consumers are shunning Sigma and the Foveon, the X3 technology may not be able to last till then...

Status
Not open for further replies.