sigma optics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Almond

I remember seeing the price for this sigma lense in the forum... it's around 1000++ to 1200++..... should be first hand price... cos's remember someone said he/she manage to get a second hand for 850++.....

the nikon AFS? hehehe...... more than double.... at least 2400++ to 2600++ without GST (asked for the VR lense too, forgot each price tag to which lense) ... just e quoted CP a few weeks back....:devil:

:dunno: :dent:

Yup! I know, recently I've recent a E-quote from CP, the Nikkor AFS len cost around $2800 and the AFD cost around $1600. :p

Ex$$$. This is why I'm thinking whether is it worth the money to get one of these lens or look for other 3rd party len with is almost equivalent in quality.

BTW, does any know whether the focusing for HSM is as fast as a Nikkor AFS?

Thanks again. ;)

How abt comparing the sigma optics with other 3rd party brands. eg. Which is known to have less distortion??
better lens built??
Lifespan??
Of coz comparing with those relatively around the same price range.

Originally posted by Kho King
Sorry, why can't u use 3D metering? Isn't Sigma lens D lens too?
it is? oops... :D

Originally posted by Almond
I remember seeing the price for this sigma lense in the forum... it's around 1000++ to 1200++..... should be first hand price... cos's remember someone said he/she manage to get a second hand for 850++.....
that would be me i think... :D

Originally posted by erwinx
(1) isn't the 70-300 f/5.6 and doesn't the AF work?
(2) AF functionality depends on the body

Someone used a 2x TC on a 70-300 f5.6 before, and AF didn't work because effectively it was f11 widest aperture. This is a normal phenomena?

Originally posted by firefox13
not very sure but i think Fotoguide is selling it for around $1K (or was it $1.1k?...

I dunno whether i was getting conned but Don(TCW) quoted me $1250 for the Sigma 70-200mm HSM brand new.:dunno:

Originally posted by hpong

How about the 105 f2.8 Macro ?
Any comments ?

I optics on this baby is really good. I get very sharp pics most of the time. The only complain i have abt this lens is that the AF is slow and tends to hunt a lot.

Originally posted by NitroTech

I dunno whether i was getting conned but Don(TCW) quoted me $1250 for the Sigma 70-200mm HSM brand new.:dunno:

So how does your Sigma 70-200mm HSM perform?
Which Camera you using? :D

Err.. a brand new one will cost ard that price. I got mine from John 3:16 at abt 1.2K too. So TCW did not quote the wrong price. The problem is, is it with warranty?

Originally posted by Fastbreak
Streetshooter, saw that u also have the Sigma 1.4X and 2X TC. I have a Sigma 70-300mm APO and am considering getting the 2X TC for it. I've heard that at the AF will cease to work accurately/properly when the apeture goes smaller than f4.
1. Could u tell me whether that is a prob (I know a tripod is a must here)

2. Does the TC support HSM, in case I decide to the Sigma 17-35mm with HSM

3. Does the image quality degrade (a little is ok...)

4. And does it work well with a DSLR? When I have the dough to get one, I hope to use this TC (although may not be necessary with the 1.x magnification factor...)

Thanks! :)

Caution: Both the Sigma 1.4X and 2X teleconverters can be used only with lenses that have a recessed rear element. This is because the side of the teleconverter that connects to the lens has a protruding centre portion. So test before you buy. I'm not sure that your 70-300mm can be used. Check it on this compatibility list:

http://www.sigma-photo.com/html/pages/ConvComptChart.htm

Officially, if the max aperture is less than f5.6, the autofocus on the camera will not work (because there is not enough light to autofocus). This is camera-dependent, rather than lens-dependent. Some cameras automatically REFUSE to autofocus if aperture is less than f5.6.

However, I've tried stacking both the 1.4X and 2X on my 70-200mm f2.8, and it still autofocuses in good light. Apparently the teleconverter "fools" the camera into believing that the max aperture is f5.6, even though it isn't. Not very sure about this. Anyway I don't do this often. My lenses are 99% used to take pictures of my kids, despite my nickname.

Originally posted by scanner

So how does your Sigma 70-200mm HSM perform?
Which Camera you using? :D

I have not bought it yet(using the 50-500mm)...... contemplating whether to get the Nikkor 80-200mm instead. Will take my time though cos my comm only comes in in October. I am using the F80D. Looking at F100 but it will be a while before i get that. I am more then happy with the F80 presently.

Originally posted by Kit
Hey Nitrotech, you a Hoegaarden drinker too?

Aye mate!!! But i prefer Stella actually!!! But what the hey, VB, Tooheys, Cascade, Reschs,XXXX, Swan will all do fine as well!!!! :D

Originally posted by StreetShooter

Caution: Both the Sigma 1.4X and 2X teleconverters can be used only with lenses that have a recessed rear element. This is because the side of the teleconverter that connects to the lens has a protruding centre portion. So test before you buy. I'm not sure that your 70-300mm can be used. Check it on this compatibility list:

Hi StreetShooter, how much did you pay for the 1.4X and the 2X TCs?? thinking of getting either one for my 50-500mm. Thanks!!

Hi StreetShooter, how much did you pay for the 1.4X and the 2X TCs?? thinking of getting either one for my 50-500mm. Thanks!!
I think the price of the TC cost abt 200++ each.
Wau use a 2xTC on the 50-500!!!
100-1000!!!

Originally posted by Bluestrike

I think the price of the TC cost abt 200++ each.
Wau use a 2xTC on the 50-500!!!
100-1000!!!

actually i am looking for it to go up to 700mm so i think a 1.4x is enough lah. :D

actually i am looking for it to go up to 700mm so i think a 1.4x is enough lah. :D
Well if memory serve mi well, Tomshen got his Sigma 1.4TC at abt 260. His is Canon mount so not very sure how much diff the price will be.

Why not get a Kenko Pro300 1.4TC, at least it can be use on all lenses and not just delicated to some lenses only?

Bluestrike, where can I buy the Kenko teleconvertor? Seems like my Sigma 70-300 APO was not listed in the compatibility list for the Sigma TC :(

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.