Sigma lens mold more easily ???

NE clicks clicks

Dec 5, 2005
Was having a chat with a friend that I have not met up for a long while. The chat went into the topic of camera lenses.
He commented that its easier for mold to form on Sigma lenses as compared to Canon and Nikon lenses.... even in a dry cab! I was rather taken aback.
Though most of my lenses are Canon, I do have a Sigma 12-24. Gonna check it out once I am back in Singapore.
What do fellow CSers think? Does his comment holds true?

How did your friend arrive at that conclusion? Did he provide any evidence that its true?

i think its just in his mind. if i gave you a pound of feathers and a pound of rocks to weigh side by side, you'd subconsciously think the rocks were heavier. same concept

Lol. Ya mold prefer sigma lens cos they can tell the difference of the quality of glass.so if u got sigma lens please spray a coat of wd40 on the glass this will prevent the mold from recognizing the sigma lens

No such thing unless Canon and Nikon had a special anti-mold or fungii coating on their lens that we do not know about... and if that was the case, it would be extremely foolish of Canon and Nikon not to make such a big fuss about their anti-mold coating.

Anyway, all lenses are the same, if u take good care of the lens and keep it in dry cabinet (correctly tuned) when not in use, it should be fungi free even after tens of years (of course had to take out once in a while to prevent the rubber portion to be damaged.

Was having a chat with a friend that I have not met up for a long while. The chat went into the topic of camera lenses.
He commented that its easier for mold to form on Sigma lenses as compared to Canon and Nikon lenses.... even in a dry cab! I was rather taken aback.
Though most of my lenses are Canon, I do have a Sigma 12-24. Gonna check it out once I am back in Singapore.

now this is weird... the fungus can be so strong n grow on lenses even when they are in the dry cabi all along, with sigma lenses being even more prone to fungus (i doubt that this is true tho)?

so if i apply ur fren's theory, let's say my RH setting in the dry cabi is appropriate at 40-45%, my sigma lenses still have a high chance of developing mold when the RH isnt even suitable for them to grow? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I think your friend bought a Sigmould lens.................................................:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Was your friend talking about the rubber part of focus/zoom ring?
Maybe what he saw was dried sweat or stuff stuck in or around the grooves?
I'd say all lenses would be the same and if frequently used or cleaned before storage, shouldn't have such problems.

Cheers,
Andrew

No proof no talk. I think that is the rule of the game. :)

Not sure if there is any scientific explanation behind this

I think your friend is a Canon or Nikon fanboy who believes that first party lens are the bomb.

That much is clear. :bsmilie:

All are glass, all are lenses, think scientifically, what are the reasons for Sigma lenses to have mold forming more easily?

Fyi, I have a Sigma 10-20mm that I have used for many years, it's peeling rubber like a leper, it has been through many things, gotten splashed by the sea at least 20 times (like, real splashes), experienced flying sand all around it, but it does not have mold.

now this is weird... the fungus can be so strong n grow on lenses even when they are in the dry cabi all along, with sigma lenses being even more prone to fungus (i doubt that this is true tho)?

so if i apply ur fren's theory, let's say my RH setting in the dry cabi is appropriate at 40-45%, my sigma lenses still have a high chance of developing mold when the RH isnt even suitable for them to grow? :rolleyes:

Sigma specially builds an airtight chamber in its lenses which is full of water vapour. The water vapour is then slowly released into the lens interior over time and guarantees that mold will form even if your dry cabinet is set at 0%. :rolleyes: :devil:

Last edited:
IF this is true, i can think of afew explanations.

1) during production, sigma has a lower standard of cleanliness which allows dust/fungus spores to enter the lens. unlikely.

2) nikon and canon make special provisions to prevent dust/fungus spores from entering the lens mechanisms while being used(weather sealing). possible.

3) amateurs who don t know about how to take care of their equipment just buy the cheapest lenses(sigma) and dont take care of them. while people who spend money on quality glass take extra care of their equipment. MOST POSSIBLE.

4) your friend is referring to haze/oil condensation. the coating technology used by third party manufacturers may be inferior to those used by nikon and canon, which results in the coating deteriorating and causing haze. I ve seen more third party lenses with haze than nikon/canon/minolta/pentax lenses. confirmed by my personal observations.

Long before CS times, in the films days, Sigma lenses love to fog easily.:eek:
This is especially so for their 70-300 APO lens.
After 6 months to a year after purchase, a group of elements will fog even put in dry pak case or dry cabinet. :cry:
It cannot be clean as they are stuck together as a group. Need to be replace.
This is especially so in Singapore weather.
Are are still as bad now ? :dunno:

Actually there is also a logical explanation for TS friend sigma lens being mouldy...

There might already be fungi formation on the lens element, maybe very small and so was not being detected. But the fungi formation grew larger in time... and so it would appear that Sigma Lenses turn mouldy easier than Canon and Nikon... but true fact was the lens already had mould in the first place.

i dont think there is such thing.. people just have the perception..cheap things..are bound to be worst off the more expensive 1.. in this case..the 3rd party lenses against the "house brand"
N most probably he just say without any sort of proof or evidence? if he do..then pls state.