Sigma kens 18-200mm F3.5-5.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

sin77

Nov 28, 2004
Would i be able to get bokeh effect using this lens if the subject is 2-4m away from me?
Is it worth to pay $788 for it?
Given the fact that Nikon D60 can only use AFS lens (which this Sigma lens has).

if i am not wrong.. bokeh depends on not just how far your subject is to your camera.. but also how far the background is to the subject as well.. you can get bokeh effects with even a cheapo 18-55 if the conditions are right..

if you are only wanting to experiment with depth of field effects.. get a prime.. it's cheaper.. and you'll probably get more fun out of it.. (but your d60 won't be able to autofocus la.. you should have knew this restriction when you got it)..

cheers..

guess bokeh effect can be achieved when u use telezoom + wide aperture. and of coz, faster speed. :p

if i am not wrong.. bokeh depends on not just how far your subject is to your camera.. but also how far the background is to the subject as well.. you can get bokeh effects with even a cheapo 18-55 if the conditions are right..

if you are only wanting to experiment with depth of field effects.. get a prime.. it's cheaper.. and you'll probably get more fun out of it.. (but your d60 won't be able to autofocus la.. you should have knew this restriction when you got it)..

cheers..

Yes... you are right... placement is very important if you want to achieve the DOF effect, and even your kit lens can do it. Below are some examples using the D40x + kit lens + 55-200 lens...

1. The following pic was taken using the Nikon D40x + 55-200mm lens at 200mm f/5.6. So this is an example of long focal length bokeh, and not using a fast lens.

1481868533_6236b0a1d9.jpg

2. The next pic is taken with the same setup at 55mm f/5.

1481841253_9b39f2dd5e.jpg

3. The next pic is taken with the Nikon D40x + 18-55 lens at 55mm f/8.

1481823497_73fe6bda8c.jpg

Suggest that you get a Tamrom 17-50 F2.8 instead of the Sigma. Sigma 18-200's IQ has a slight yellow tint in it's images. The small aperature makes it hard to focus in dim lighting conditions and the bokeh also not fantastic. I got it for 1 mth and sold it off. Got the Tamron and now a happy camper. It's cheaper than the Sigma too.

Status
Not open for further replies.