Sigma EX Lenses - Safe to gaffer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

timlim

Mar 10, 2005
Hi Everyone,

Was wondering if anyone out there has gaffered Sigma EX-coated lenses before. The EX-coating is commonly reported to peel/flake off easily and I'm not sure if it's safe to gaffer my new lens - My fear is that when I remove or replace the gaffer tape, the coating will come off with the tape too!

Can anyone who has gaffered EX lenses before offer any advice!

Thanks in advance!

cheers,
tim

The coating will come off whether you gaffer them or not. Gaffering it might actually make the coating last longer. Either way you are not at a loss.

gaffer at your own risk

My 2nd hand Sigma 50-500 came gaffered due to the previous owner's attempt to prevent the EX coating from peeling off some more (it was already starting to peel). However, when i removed one of the tape strips due to peeling, quite a bit of the EX finish came off with it. :(

I would just leave it be if I were you.

Wonder went will Sigma realize this fustrating problem that we facing, n do a better barrel coating like Nikon or canon lenses.

actually i think the coating falling off has to do with our weather climate. My friends in us using sigma lenses dont have this problem :think:

Thanks for your info and advice guys!

Any more of such info/advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Do not gaffer.

Thanks again for your responses, everyone! I'm truly grateful...but it would help if you could further elaborate on the reasons behind your advice? Thanks again!

cheers,
tim

but then again it will look nicer if gaffered. very cool. so if u dont intend to sell the lens in future because the coating will peel off then just gaffer all over as u like. if u intend to sell if off in the future then find a buyer who doesnt bother about cosmetics

my sigma 70-200 f2.8 coating came off in less than 1 year.:angry:
the mounting ring to the camera came loose in less than 1 year.:angry:
i have decided not to get anymore sigma 1 year after buying that lens.

Having used about 10 different sigma lenses (some for more that 4 years) and i think the good conclusion is: why gaffer?

Gaffering does seem to cause SOME of the lens coats to peel... yet all my ungaffered lens haven't peeled and are in good condition. If you are using your lens in such harsh environments, perhaps consider the more hardy lenses by the OEMS.

btw, ive never had any issues with sigma lenses. sure they may not be as sharp as the nikon or canon originals... but hey... i don't have the same deep pockets as the professionals.

regards,
ou yang

Status
Not open for further replies.