Sigma announces 35mm f/1.4 DG, 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC OS, 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS lenses

Chrissp

Nov 28, 2009
Singapore
Sigma announces 3 new lenses based on their new product lines at Photokina 2012:

35mm f/1.4 DG HSM (Link) - Art

a_35_14_large02.jpg

17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM (Link) - Contemporary

c_17_70_28_4_large02.jpg

120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM (Link) - Sports

s_120_300_28_large02.jpg

Official statement from Sigma on their new product line and lenses. No information on the release or prices yet. Sources from Sigma Global Vision.

Very interesting approach from Sigma on their new product line direction and new lenses. All their future lenses are going to be designed based on the new product lines approach & style. I find the 35mm f/1.4 DG most interesting!

Last edited:
I am keen to find out more on the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM.

Maybe its just me but i like the new look of the lens.

I am keen to find out more on the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM.

Yes, this one is very interesting. However, with no info other other than filter size, it does arouse my curiosity. Both the Sigma 50 and 85 being normal and tele primes have 77mm front element. Other competitors are at least 72mm, even manual focus ones. This Sigma 35 with AF can have a 67mm front element.

Sigma 35/1.4 - 67mm
Sigma 50/1.4 - 77mm
Sigma 85/1.4 - 77mm

Canon 35/1.4 - 72mm
Zeiss 35/1.4 - 72mm
Samyang 35/1.4 - 77mm

Interesting. I didn't notice that. Let's wait to find out more. Sigma usually takes a while between the announcement and the actual commercial release of the lens.

Maybe its just me but i like the new look of the lens.

well, you are not alone. the tripod collar design is so much better looking, the lens body also look simple and sense of elegance.

All these lenses seem to have a smaller diameter compared to their earlier version. It has also been mentioned that the lenses are more compact.

There is better qc as well. Plus the use of software to update firmware n fine tune the lenses. Interesting

gonna have high expectations on the 35, most likely will be replacing my 35L :)
the new design is alot better, interested in the 120-300 too..

Yeah I can't wait to see how it performs against the popular 35L

I notice this on the press release "...and the design of new software and a USB docking station that will enable photographers to update and adjust their lenses to suit thier personal preferences."

Does this mean that these new Sigma lens will come with docking station, allowing users to update firmware and do DIY calibration? Thats very very interesting!

The 120-300mm redesigned again? Thought it was just launched not too long ago.

Hacker said:
The 120-300mm redesigned again? Thought it was just launched not too long ago.

2011 I believe...

From Techradar regarding the Sigma USB dock:
There's also newly developed USB dock, and special software that can update the lens firmware and adjust parameters such as focus.

Using a special USB dock, you can connect the lens to a PC and, using on-screen controls, tune focus and other parameters.

Source (with picture)

Not sure how easily this can be done and price of the dock, but certainly interesting. Maybe no more trips to Sigma Service Centre for focus issues?

From a Polish website, the 35/1.4 has 13E/11G and 4 SLD. Seems a very complicated design for a fast prime.