Sigma adds the 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport Lenses to Its Global Vision Line

Kenneth83

Aug 30, 2007
Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport Lens - Pro Fast-Aperture Prime Super Telephoto

The flagship Sigma super telephoto 500mm F4 Sport lens incorporates the very latest in Sigma optical technology and innovation. Designed for the professional sports and wildlife shooter, the ultra-durable lens features magnesium alloy components, a carbon fiber hood, a water and oil resistant front element, and is dust and splash proof. The 500mm F4 features a drop-in rear filter slot for polarizers, UV and other critical filters. To help prevent damage during shooting and maintenance, the lens is also compatible with the exclusive SIGMA Protector LPT-11 (sold separately).

The lens incorporates two FLD and one SLD glass elements, while the optimized power distribution helps minimize spherical aberration and axial chromatic aberration. The optical system also effectively minimizes transverse chromatic aberration, which can affect the edges of the shots taken in the telephoto range. In addition, image quality remains exceptional when the lens is used with a Sigma Telephoto Converter (sold separately).

Other key performance features include Sigma's two-mode Optical Stabilizer for enhanced performance when shooting handheld for still subjects or panning and tracking for moving subjects. There is also a customizable AF "return" function for setting the focus position of one's choice and returning to that preset distance.

The all new Sigma 500mm F4 supports Canon, Nikon and Sigma mounts. The Nikon mounts feature the brand new electromagnetic diaphragm.

The Sigma 500mm F4 Sport lens, in Canon and Sigma mounts, will be available in late October. The Nikon mount will be available in late November. The 500mm F4 will retail for a recommended street price of $5999.00 USD.

---

Was all super excited this morning till I saw the price. Than again its so much cheaper than the Canon/Nikon version and if the quality continues to be in line with all their recent lines, this could be a good alternative to those without deeper pockets.

Its similar in weight to the new Nikon 500/4 FL.. Just a question if the MTF lines are like the Nikon 500/4FL's WTF lines.. lol

anyone know of the estimated price in singapore? i'm looking for one as an alternative to the nikon. no one's selling the nikon recently

Heard the canon mount stocks will be arriving real soon in Singapore :)

Nikon mount version is in stock!

The Mighty 500 combo ~ Nikon D500 with Sigma 500mm F/4 Sports. All handheld test shots along Punggol Waterway.

Hi, is the quality good if we stack TC?

Bit of follow up review of usage..

I've been very happy with this lens.. Image quality and color is great, and focus is fast and accurate.

Some sample photos. (Full rez available at flickr)

Emerald Dove by Elvin Tan, on Flickr

These birds decided to suddenly fly by, and the lens caught focus immediately.

Wimbrel fly by by Elvin Tan, on Flickr

Bird in flight is easy (if you can keep it within the frame.) Composited a sequence of shots in one frame.. the spacing is perfectly even here (Not on purpose, since i used the building as reference for stacking) that shows there's no hesitation when keeping the focus.

Flight of the little Egret by Elvin Tan, on Flickr

And when mounted on a 1" sensor, the sharpness still retains at 20MP. (Here mounted on a Nikon J5 with the FT1 adapter)

Waning Gibbous, night after the last Super Moon of 2016 by Elvin Tan, on Flickr

Plan to get the 2x TC soon, and will update on the performance !

Sounds and looks like a mighty good lens! Not that it was actually really in doubt.. But still good to see the output.

Sounds and looks like a mighty good lens! Not that it was actually really in doubt.. But still good to see the output.

Never owned a Nikon 500/4 or 600/4 before, so I can't make a great comparison. But its a huge IQ jump from my 300/4PF. At 60% price of the Nikon 500/4FL, i think its great value for money.

Wow alfie i am amazed by the moon shot. U are really tempting me to get this

Wow alfie i am amazed by the moon shot. U are really tempting me to get this

I'm waiting for the sigma 2x TC to come in at my regular shop.. then i'll tempt you more..

Bro Alfie, may I ask whether AF and exposure-control are enabled for this setup Nikon J5 + FT1 + new Sigma 500mm F/4 Sport? Thanks.

The Sigma 500/4 behaves like the Nikon 500/4E, and works 100% with the J5 + FT1. Even with the TC. EXIF shows as 500/4E :p

Here's some sample images taken with the J5 and D500 with the TC2001 on the Sigma 500/4 last night. The TC2001 works great with the 500/4 ! Much better then my TC20iii on my 300/4PF. J5 image could be better (I was having issues balancing on my cheap tripod with the moon 80degrees above me.

On J5 (Full rez image available on flickr)

On D500 (Full rez image available on flickr)

Taken by my old lady, 500mm f4.5. No doubt the new 500mm f4 will be much better!

Full%20Moon_Feb17_zpsccewvzrs.jpg