Sigma 70-300mm (Canon Mount)

blueacidic

Apr 4, 2010
glennmaureen.zenfolio.com
anyone tried these lenses on a canon dslr? can feedback?

should get Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG OS or Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG Macro APO ?

Think for this kind of telephoto zoom lens, Optical stabilization very important right? but i ish want the macro function also

PS : just to check, if canon mount, the optical stabilization doesn't work?

anyone tried these lenses on a canon dslr? can feedback?
me, not bad. good .5x magnification on 300mm...
should get Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG OS or Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG Macro APO ?
depends on what you want. macro capability was removed from OS version.
Think for this kind of telephoto zoom lens, Optical stabilization very important right? but i ish want the macro function also
yes, specially @ 300mm where max aperture is only 5.6. also for framing...
PS : just to check, if canon mount, the optical stabilization doesn't work?
where did you hear or read about this issue? Sigma lenses with OS on EOS was there since stone age. :bsmilie:

me, not bad. good .5x magnification on 300mm...
depends on what you want. macro capability was removed from OS version.
yes, specially @ 300mm where max aperture is only 5.6. also for framing...
where did you hear or read about this issue? Sigma lenses with OS on EOS was there since stone age. :bsmilie:

oh. but im equally interested in both :( sigh. not sure which one i should get.. any idea the price of these 2 respectively?

i think i read it over at some other forums can't rem the link already..

Go with the OS one. Image stabilisation is very helpful for the focal lengths.

I have the Canon 70-300 f4-5.6 IS and the IS helped me get relatively sharp pics of wildlife/whales from bus and boat on a trip.

btw, in the event that you find your sigma lens to be not as sharp as you think it should be, bring down to the service centre with your camera body for calibration (do give them a call first). It's free within warranty and the technician does a very thorough job (I brought a lens that front-focussed and they helped do the necessary adjustments).

Go with the OS one. Image stabilisation is very helpful for the focal lengths.

I have the Canon 70-300 f4-5.6 IS and the IS helped me get relatively sharp pics of wildlife/whales from bus and boat on a trip.

btw, in the event that you find your sigma lens to be not as sharp as you think it should be, bring down to the service centre with your camera body for calibration (do give them a call first). It's free within warranty and the technician does a very thorough job (I brought a lens that front-focussed and they helped do the necessary adjustments).

service centre of sigma or canon? front focussed meaning?

service centre of sigma or canon? front focussed meaning?

Sigma Service Centre of course ...... front focused means lens erratically focuses on a lady's front when it should have been on the eyes as targeted .............. :sweat:

Last edited:
I am using the Sigma 70-300 DG APO for more than last three years. 3+ years back, that was the absolute best value for money. There used to be two versions that time, one APO (with red band) and another without APO.

Macro is a good feature but it works above 200mm (around there) and you need to stand quite far from the object.

Yes, I would be delighted if IS/OS really works ;p I will not die with out OS/IS.

Bottom line is, Sigma 70-300 is a very good value for money (if not the best now) and comparatively smaller in size.

I am using the Sigma 70-300 DG APO for more than last three years. 3+ years back, that was the absolute best value for money. There used to be two versions that time, one APO (with red band) and another without APO.

Macro is a good feature but it works above 200mm (around there) and you need to stand quite far from the object.

Yes, I would be delighted if IS/OS really works ;p I will not die with out OS/IS.

Bottom line is, Sigma 70-300 is a very good value for money (if not the best now) and comparatively smaller in size.

Thanks for sharing. Do you have trouble using this lens at night with low light as there's no OS/IS ? Hows the IQ?

Shooting without flash at night with low light, you should be using a tripod (or at least a monopod).

in that case if im using most of the time during the day, won't it be fine if i get the APO Macro one instead since the one with OS is double the price :think:

in that case if im using most of the time during the day, won't it be fine if i get the APO Macro one instead since the one with OS is double the price :think:

If you're always outdoor, sure, it'll probably be fine. But if its overcast or if your subject is standing in shade (say under a tree outdoors), the shutter speed can be lower than 1/50 on the tele end wide open. Expect to be shooting at least ISO 800 under such conditions to keep your shutter above 1/300.

If you're always outdoor, sure, it'll probably be fine. But if its overcast or if your subject is standing in shade (say under a tree outdoors), the shutter speed can be lower than 1/50 on the tele end wide open. Expect to be shooting at least ISO 800 under such conditions to keep your shutter above 1/300.

Ic thanks. Sorry but i'm new to this. Wondering is it during the day, even the iso is relatively high, pictures turn out won't be as noisy as compared to the night? Or is it just me?

Ic thanks. Sorry but i'm new to this. Wondering is it during the day, even the iso is relatively high, pictures turn out won't be as noisy as compared to the night? Or is it just me?

That's right, noise from high ISO shows more prominently in shadows / dark regions.

Like what you stated, if i use a tripod or use a slower shutter speed, it should be fine right?

Like what you stated, if i use a tripod or use a slower shutter speed, it should be fine right?

You might find it quite a challenge hand holding slower than 1/320 at 300mm without any form of IS (or OS for Sigma)... Or maybe my hands not steady :think: If you have a tripod with you most of the time then you don't have to worry about it I guess.

Ah ic, thanks alot for the advice.. most of the time i have tripod with me just that with OS i can be able to capture moments quickly rather than using a tripod. By using a tripod im sure to miss out many valuable shots :(

The price of the Sigma 70-300 OS is pretty close to the Canon's own 70-300 IS USM, close enough for me to consider that instead.