Sigma 500mm F/7.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

yellowlemonie

Mar 13, 2005
Hobbitshire
www.facebook.com
Will you pay SGD500 for a sigma 500mm f/7.2 lens?

I believe it looks like this:
70348114.GkAwcthJ.500mm_f72_af_1.jpg

Haven't actually viewed the lens - but I'm told
"The lens has no scratches on the front or rear elements. There are however a number of cosmetic scuff marks to the rubberised barrel of the lens, these are not deep and in virtually cases they are not through the rubber exterior."

good condition or not, $500 is quite a bit of $$$.

also, f7.2 is very slow.

also, the technology seems very old.

should ve better alternatives available.

No, got a 400mm f5.6 for my Canon, quality wise cannot make it (lens fogged, cannot AF, rubber coating melted etc). Had since lost faith in Sigma for Canon's mount...

Had to becareful for old sigma lens.

My old Sigma MF400mm f5.6 have the same problem with melted rubber coating although i kept in dry cabin.

Just a precautionary note...since the lens max aperture is f/7.2....may not be able to AF on non 1-series Canon EOS bodies. (which can only AF up to effective aperture of f/5.6).

Also, as some of the previous posters pointed out, f/7.2 is pretty slow unless the lens is ultilized in very good lighting conditions.

Thanks for the comments guys. :think:

I'll be using it on a Nikon body though - it supposedly does AF on a D100, albeit slow... It might still beat the 500mm F/8 catadioptric (mirror) one I'm using at the moment though (which is manual... :bsmilie:)

Status
Not open for further replies.