Sigma 30mm F1.4 or Sigma 18-200mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferderico

Mar 2, 2004
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Hi guys,

i am really caught in between the 2. Personally, i think the 2 lens are great companion. One sharp lens for dim places/potraits and another is for a walkabout.

with budget constraint which lens should i get first? currently i am still using the kit lens.

can someone sway me towards one of the lens?

Hi guys,

i am really caught in between the 2. Personally, i think the 2 lens are great companion. One sharp lens for dim places/potraits and another is for a walkabout.

with budget constraint which lens should i get first? currently i am still using the kit lens.

can someone sway me towards one of the lens?

I guess its quite a personal thing. I mean depending on what you going to shoot in the coming months. :)

Few months ago, I am in the almost same situation as you. I own a kit lens and choose a prime lens over a tele lens since I would not be using the tele lens over the few months. :)

what are the prices for these 2 lenses?

There's fellow cspers who r renting the lens at very affordable rates. If pricing of e lens is too much to pay n seldom will use it after the first few usage... Is better to rent such lens. Until you know what is yr shooting pattern, then invest in that certain lens. ;)

The Sigma 30 f/1.4 is a superb lens. Especially good for shooting in tight situations with low light. Very nice bokeh to boot!

But be very careful when purchasing it as the lens has some serious QC issues. Sample variation in quality is immense, from severe front focussing to severe back focussing..

So.. be sure you do a good and detailed focussing check before committing to your purchase at any shop.

the sigma 30 really impressed me... super sharp....nice to have around.

but the sigma 18-200 good for the walkabout... the zoom can come in handy...

headache

personally i would go for the prime lense. sharper and you can cover quite abit. the thing is if u get the 18-200, u essentially render ur kit lense useless...u could sell it off and buy the 30mm after that. or visa versa

Go for the primes for low light and nice bokeh.. the Sigma 18-200 OS IQ is bad.. I had it for 1 mth and sold it off.
Another alternative is the Tamron 17-50 F2.8. Cheap and good. Can get it cheap at the B&S section.

I was in the same shoes as you are. But decided to get the Sigma 30 1.4 after reading so much good things about the lens.

No doubt. The prime lens was the best choice made. and will probably stay on my Canon body for quite awhile as a walkabout lens.

Forces to take the time to compose your shots.

i vote for 30/1.4! Sharp, contrasty, good bokeh.

its hard to compare a prime and a zoom. picture quality from sigma18-200 is ok but when u compare with 30mm prime its a world of difference. imho 18-200 is like buying a compact cam with good zoom, good to carry everywhere, when u need the length its there, but just like a compact cam. with 30mm its like a rangefinder where u cant zoom but think of how to compose, f1.4 gives shallow dof which also brings out a new "skill" for u to explore.

but of course only you know what u will be shooting mostly and both lenses serve different purposes.

heheheh ... with some help from my dearest.....

i GOT BOTH LENS!!!!!..... still love the 30mm.... tried some shots and the results are fabulous...

as for the 18-200mm... i havent got the chance to really test it.... the aperature is too small for night photos...

nice meeting u the previous time, enjoy the lens.

hi, may I know how much are they? Where do you buy? I am very interested in the 30 F1.4 :), Thanks

beside OP where got good deal for sigma hsm 1.4??

anyone also getting sigma 1.4 HSM?? might be getting tomorrow

so far i found the cheapest place for the lens is at Orient Photo @ Sim Lim Square
$620~~...

other places sellling at 750... ridiculous

i tot i read somewhere saying that OP is selling it for 590?

:eek:CP quote me @ $750.: Lucky didnt buy from them:):)

Status
Not open for further replies.