Sigma 30mm F 1.4 vs Canon 35mm F2.0 vs Canon 28mm F1.8

I own the Siggy 30mm and it's on my body most of the time. At 1.4, it's not tack sharp but it's sharp enough imo. But if you're looking for bokeh, the Siggy 30mm is definitely going give you a creamier bokeh and I can attest that it focus very well in low lighting conditions.

I bought the Canon 35mm f/2.0, then subsequently had a good deal and bought the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 (together with another Sigma lens). I also own the Canon 50mm f/1.8, which was the second lens I bought when I got my dslr.

When I go on shoots, I throw in my lensbag the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and the Canon 50mm f/1.8. And the Canon 35mm f/2.0 sits in my dry-cabi most of the time.

Reason? Quality-wise, the photos churned out by the Sigma feel better (although they might have a slight yellow tinge that can be fixed in photoshop later), the lens feels more solid, and the focusing "feels" faster and queter. The Canon 35mm f/2.0 is VERY noisy when focusing, and has this "feel", a plasticky "feel" compared to the plastic 50mm f/1.8. It also tends to miss focus and re-focus more often than the Sigma.

Speed-wise, the Sigma 30mm and the Canon 50mm perform very well under low-light conditions. The benefit of f/1.4 means you can afford to push the limits and shoot without flash alot. Bokeh-wise, you can get more depth from the f/1.4 than the f/2.0.

Definitely the sigma. If you get a sharp copy, its sharp wide open, superb bokeh, don't need flash, and feels really solid. Plus you get a free hood. :)

Sigma has QC issues however if you get a good copy or send it in for calibration, it should be sharp wide open at f/1.4.

I bought mine used and the seller lied to me it was sharp and all. he only had it for 1 month before he sold it to me.
Upon receiving it, it wasn't sharp till f/2.8 and past f/4 it back focussed.
I sent it in to Sigma for calibration and they replaced the PCB and reprogrammed it and also replaced a rotor in the HSM motor.
I got it back after 3 weeks and the damn thing is pin sharp wide open.

Here's an example @ f/1.4 but also note that I always soften my portraits for better skin texture so for this image I used -40 on the LR Clarity slider....

4347546492_f9ba1cc6df_b.jpg

4347574246_7ffc8c97fb_b.jpg

so they charge for calibration? i am tempted to get this... but probably i will need my flashgun first.

In my case yes cause mine came from HK and I took it to Sigma Canada for calibration.
Since it was an EX lens there is 1 year worldwide warranty as long as you have the receipt. I had none so they charged me a flat fee of $50.
But it is normally free if you buy one that is intended for the local market.

You can even send it in to get cleaned for free whenever you want under warranty.

anyone can confirm if it's free if out of warranty?
what if it's a non-local set?

for singapore....

The Sigma is now my wish list lens. But I need to be able to really test the thing on the spo when I buy. Which is why probably need some expert advise like the one you can get from guys at John316. I'm left puzzled though. Why Sigma don't want to improve their QC. Because all these sending in for recalibration and such is not going to save them much cost. In fact I think it's going to tarnish their reputation and of course having those recalibration done on every single piece of lens in the market is just madness from a business point of view for Sigma.

The Sigma is now my wish list lens. But I need to be able to really test the thing on the spo when I buy. Which is why probably need some expert advise like the one you can get from guys at John316. I'm left puzzled though. Why Sigma don't want to improve their QC. Because all these sending in for recalibration and such is not going to save them much cost. In fact I think it's going to tarnish their reputation and of course having those recalibration done on every single piece of lens in the market is just madness from a business point of view for Sigma.

QC is not only problem of Sigma, even Canon also has the similar problem, and possible also another brand
I has several Sigma lenses, but so far I has no issue with any of my lenses.
Consider myself lucky? Next year I will pull a trigger to upgrade my 2470 into HSM version... let see if I still has those kind of "luck" :p