Sigma 24-70 EX f2.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

gremlin

Nov 15, 2002
www.pixelpixie.biz
How do you guys find the performance of this lens? I have heard more negative reviews than positive ones on the net, which is a shame as it is the only alternative in terms of reach to a 24-70L. But I am interested to hear from the locals who have real experiences with it!

Pls post your comments! Thanks! :p

I thoroughly regret selling mine off. It was very sharp, and focused better than the 24-70Lemon.

The reason I regret it, is that mine was a sharp copy, even at f2.8. I fear I may not get another one like it. The quality control is apparently quite poor, with many soft ones and a few sharp ones.

:embrass: Have to agree that StreetShooter's copy was indeed a gem. Very sharp at f2.8 for all focal lengths. The only flaws it has are:

1) Noisy AF
2) Stiff zoom ring
3) No FTM

But seriously, these ain't big issues at all.

I thoroughly regret selling mine off. It was very sharp, and focused better than the 24-70Lemon

Sigh... And I thoroughly regretted not getting it from you when I had the chance :cry:

I knew good copies are hard to come by.. its like winning a lottery lol.

Anyway, Azone, let me know if you ever decide to sell off this lens! :D

gremlin said:
Sigh... And I thoroughly regretted not getting it from you when I had the chance :cry:

I knew good copies are hard to come by.. its like winning a lottery lol.

Anyway, Azone, let me know if you ever decide to sell off this lens! :D

:ipuke: :blah:

ever consider the tokina???

binbeto said:
I am using the 28-70EX version for nikon.

It is sharp. The only -ve pt is that the focus ring moves when focusing. Got used to this now.

You might wanna consider this version if you dun need the 24mm. A -ve pt of 24/70 is that it uses the 82mm filter. Can't share fiter with the other lens.

The focus ring is NOT supposed to move. There is a sliding clutch mechanism which you are supposed to disengage when using AF mode. If the focusing ring is moving, you risk damaging the motor in the long term, because the clutch is in MF mode.

Well, this is true for the Sigma 24-70 anyway. Not sure about the 28-70.

You might wanna consider this version if you dun need the 24mm

Thanks for the suggestion, but thats the main reason I want to get the 24mm version... its wider and to me more useful!

StreetShooter said:
*sigh* :bheart:
Dun worry, big Canon will get u back with a better Lemon. :D

They have not contacted me yet! Thinking of calling again. Already 4 weeks in total to be with them. Sign, not sure if they keep my lens in their dry cabinet... :cry:

StreetShooter said:
The focus ring is NOT supposed to move. There is a sliding clutch mechanism which you are supposed to disengage when using AF mode. If the focusing ring is moving, you risk damaging the motor in the long term, because the clutch is in MF mode.

Well, this is true for the Sigma 24-70 anyway. Not sure about the 28-70.

There is 2 version for the 28-70.

My is the one that there is no way in disengaging the focus ring.

I am thinking of changing it to the version that can. There is a "DF" in it's model number. But am afraid I might not get a lens as sharp. So, no choice live with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.