Sigma 18-200mm DC

Status
Not open for further replies.
When using lens of this zoom range not much to compare, both are as good and as bad.
If I am not wrong both lens came to S'pore at the same time.
From memory I prefer the Tamron due to smoother handling, plastic mount initially puts me off a little however after using it is not so bad. Also not forgetting that the Tamron comes with a 3 year warrenty and thus justify the slight price increase.

sigma is cheaper if I'm not wrong but slightly heavier.

I'm using the Sigma 18-125 DC btw. Probably will keep using it instead of changing to a 18-200.

mpenza said:
sigma is cheaper if I'm not wrong but slightly heavier.

I'm using the Sigma 18-125 DC btw. Probably will keep using it instead of changing to a 18-200.

tamron built is a bit plastic. but then sigma built is not that very good. Hear that somtimes they are complaints that the Lens barrel coating will definately peal off after a while of usage...

is that true ?

Don't mind that I join in the discussion. I got the Tamron 18-200mm bec.:

a. I was looking for a lens that is long and wide enough for holiday use. I actually have (and still has it) the Canon 28-135mm IS but it is neither here nor there.

b. I got Tamron bec. I read about compatibility problems with other Sigma lens and I don't want to have this problem when I upgrade my camera in the future. Now using Canon 300D.

c. I don't quite like the plasticky feel of the Tamron, but it's light and meets my long and wide requirement.

d. For Canon, don' ever compare it with the L lens. For the range, I would have to buy at least a 17-40mm, a 24-70mm, and a 70-200mm. :sweat:

looks like quite a lot of people interested in getting one or another as a walkaround lens .... my fren also looking at one .... anybody doing a MO?

Sigma 18-200 + D70 + SB600

Some samples for you to view. I just resized the photos

F/8 200mm

photos are removed

cungan said:
Sigma 18-200 + D70 + SB600

Some samples for you to view. I just resized the photos

F/8 200mm

DSC_1010.JPG

and one more

DSC_1012.JPG

Finally someone! Great photos, thanks cungan. Care to share with us about quality of this lens? Sharp? Do you find pictures soft at 18mm or 200mm when taken wide open as some people claim?

clicknick said:
Finally someone! Great photos, thanks cungan. Care to share with us about quality of this lens? Sharp? Do you find pictures soft at 18mm or 200mm when taken wide open as some people claim?

I'm not a pro so buy this lense to cover quite a big range.
I used to have Sigma 70-300 the latest model but that one is a lot slower in focus ( in the higher range 70-200/300)than this one. There's of course still a bit noisy when focus.
I still did not do a full test but I tried to took some photos to compare between kit lense nikon 18-70 and this one at some settings it appears to me that there is no differrence with my amateur eyes.
So I mount this lense most of the time to have more coverage.

Finally, if you're amatuer can go for it without having 2 lenses 17-80 and 70-300
you buy this
but a bit expensive for me (700SGD for lense +hoya filter from AP more than 3 weeks ago).

This one was taken at 18mm
DSC_0064.JPG

Thanks Cungan,

I may get rid of my 70-300 too, if I have a 18-200. I also not pro. Thanks for providing so much useful pics and opinion on this lens. Is very useful as comparison to Tamron to help us decide on which one to get.

Hope to see more of your shots with this lens here in CS if you have time.

And err... nice sotong. lol

don't worry if you satify with that have some good photos of models took through this lense from Dreamcar bt lazy to post I will try it later. I discounted from the price i bought so 660 with hoya uv-guard (coated)

Alright, more samples from your lens. Please inform me here when u posted the models shots. Looking forward.

not car only models
Cheers

DSC_0002.JPG

Some more to go

DSC_0009.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG

DSC_00011.JPG

still have some more to go

DSC_00012.JPG

DSC_00013.JPG

DSC_00014.JPG

DSC_00015.JPG

And my favourite model for this DCA look so innocent but tatoo at the back
DSC_00020.JPG

When I came she just walked around, I asked her to pose so other people also got chance to take photos as well
DSC_0001.JPG

Wah, very nice pics of the car show. If I using Nikon, sure buy from u. Good lens.

clicknick said:
Hi, so far I have seen alot of interest in Tamron 18-200mm in CS, and have seen some samples posted, but none for Sigma 18-200mm.

Anyone here own the Sigma 18-200mm? Care to share your experience with this lens and post some of your samples?

I'm just curious to know why the Tamron seems more popular than the Sigma when it's more expensive than Sigma. Thanks.

Hi clicknick,

Attached some samples as requested. (taken using sigma 18-200 with 350D)

As a novice point of view, I feel that this lense is very versatile...light weight, good walk around lense. If compare it with my 50 f1.8, the photo from sigma is on the soft side, but it is still very acceptable for me. I have hands on the Tamron 18-200 before getting the sigma and I don't like the plastic feel of the Tamron and the zooming part is too stiff for my liking. Sigma have much solid build imho.

Go try out both lenses in the shop see which one u like loh.:)

Happy shooting!

green.jpg

boat.jpg

crying.jpg

danger.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.