Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 vs Canon 300 f/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

polo_pro10

May 16, 2004
Rosyth Rd
photobucket.com
Hi,

I need the opinions of those who have tried the Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 EX DG HSM before. May I check with u how is the quality of the lens, eg. sharpness & colour. & for those who have also tried before the Canon 300mm f4L IS USM, how is the sigma compared to the canon? :think: I'm confused on which 1 to get! FYI, I'm intending to use the lens for shooting outdoor sports.

Thanks!

erm... pix quality a prime will definitely have the upper hand. If the quality wasn't ur primary concern but the flexible of the focus length den Sigma is for u...

how much is the 120-300 ??

STboy said:
erm... pix quality a prime will definitely have the upper hand. If the quality wasn't ur primary concern but the flexible of the focus length den Sigma is for u...
but is the quality quite ok, same as canon 70-200?

i would say same optical quality
main diff is weight and price

and the sense of " puritan L -ness" vs " unpure 3rdparty-ness"... which is a very strong sense.

Sharpness of the 120-300 is very good, but the colour is not as punchy as the 300/4.

the sigma is probably one of the best 3rd party lens to get.

show me another way to get to 300 @ 2.8 at such a great price.

its a little heavy tho.. definately not be able to hand hold for more then 1 hour.

pictures are awesome and works well with a 1.4x teleconvertor..

definately on my to buy list

From the reviews i've read, it can be extremely sharp, even wide open... if you get a good copy. Can you be that sway to get a bad copy? Why not? Even photozone did: http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/sigma_120300_28/index.htm

Anyway, there's quite a lot of discussion and samples from owners of this lens over at DPReview. You might want to check it out. Me? I'm still going for the 300 F4 IS because I rather sick of having to lug around a monopod (with my 50-500) which the 120-300 will no doubt need as well.

Denosha said:
From the reviews i've read, it can be extremely sharp, even wide open... if you get a good copy. Can you be that sway to get a bad copy? Why not? Even photozone did: http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/sigma_120300_28/index.htm

Anyway, there's quite a lot of discussion and samples from owners of this lens over at DPReview. You might want to check it out. Me? I'm still going for the 300 F4 IS because I rather sick of having to lug around a monopod (with my 50-500) which the 120-300 will no doubt need as well.
so how do i check whether its a gd quality lens? :sweatsm:

another question, is the sigma 120-300 heavier than the canon 300 f/2.8L non-IS? & how much is the 300 f/2.8L non-IS? :embrass:

polo_pro10 said:
another question, is the sigma 120-300 heavier than the canon 300 f/2.8L non-IS? & how much is the 300 f/2.8L non-IS? :embrass:

It is quite difficult to look for the EF 300mm f2.8L non-IS in Singapore. You can ask our dear jediforever. How many months has he been looking for this lens. :sweat:

As for the weight, it weighs at 2,855g vs the Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 at 2,600g. Therefore, you can see that te Canon one is heavier than the Sigma counterpart. With such a weight in mind, can you hand hold it for a period of time or do you need a tripod / monopod?

USM said:
It is quite difficult to look for the EF 300mm f2.8L non-IS in Singapore. You can ask our dear jediforever. How many months has he been looking for this lens. :sweat:

As for the weight, it weighs at 2,855g vs the Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 at 2,600g. Therefore, you can see that te Canon one is heavier than the Sigma counterpart. With such a weight in mind, can you hand hold it for a period of time or do you need a tripod / monopod?
ok thanks.......i think i will use it with a monopod. All the constant aperture telephoto lens are so difficult to get! :angry:

polo_pro10 said:
ok thanks.......i think i will use it with a monopod. All the constant aperture telephoto lens are so difficult to get! :angry:
not really...you just have to place an order with the shops....

order then order lo... at f2.8 and f4, i think i'd still take the f2.8 and add 1.4x TC to it summore

polo_pro10 said:

Is this price S$3380 DG or the new EX DG,where can i get it.
I being looking for this lens for a long time for sport shooting,good zoom range.But how about the sharpness at f2.8?Is there any sample picture to show at f2.8...thks

Status
Not open for further replies.