Sigma 12-24 mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM

Status
Not open for further replies.

tc811

May 20, 2005
Hi, I'm thinking of getting this len in Hong Kong next month. However, I do understand that this len cannot fit in normal filter or PL. My question is: How can i prevent the len from scratches, and any filter to protect the len. Thanks.:)

No idea about Sigma.. but both my Nikon 12-24mm and Canon 10-22mm works fine with B+W normal filters.. BTW, I urge you to consider the Tokina 12-24mm instead, or at least the Tamron 11-18mm..

tc811 said:
Hi, I'm thinking of getting this len in Hong Kong next month. However, I do understand that this len cannot fit in normal filter or PL. My question is: How can i prevent the len from scratches, and any filter to protect the len. Thanks.:)

jeryltan said:
No idea about Sigma.. but both my Nikon 12-24mm and Canon 10-22mm works fine with B+W normal filters.. BTW, I urge you to consider the Tokina 12-24mm instead, or at least the Tamron 11-18mm..

if he is a film or FF user then those options r not viable :)

I did considered Tokina 12-24mm. But somehow, I felt that Sigma's picture quality is much sharper and contrast is better than Tokina, especially when stop down to F11 (most would said the swee spot). Tokina's picture seem to be a bit warm and not that sharp as compared to Sigma. I'm using a Canon E350D, so all 3 lens is ok to me. But after evaluating most of the lens and pictures, I choose Sigma. And the protuding front glass lens means that normal filter cannot fit in. This is my only concern (dun wan to damage the glass len since no filter).

I intend to get both Sigma APO MACRO 150mm F2.8 EX DG HSM and Sigma 12-24 mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM. But just haven't decide on the WA lens yet. Might choose Canon EF-S 17-85mm if really no choice.:dunno:

By the way, being a newbie, how can i ensure i don't get a bad copy. How to test out the len's quality? How about all these things about CA, vignetting, front focus,etc. Can I test out the len at the shop using any equipment or software?

I think the Canon equivalent is 10-22mm.. And that would be the best choice :)

tc811 said:
I did considered Tokina 12-24mm. But somehow, I felt that Sigma's picture quality is much sharper and contrast is better than Tokina, especially when stop down to F11 (most would said the swee spot). Tokina's picture seem to be a bit warm and not that sharp as compared to Sigma. I'm using a Canon E350D, so all 3 lens is ok to me. But after evaluating most of the lens and pictures, I choose Sigma. And the protuding front glass lens means that normal filter cannot fit in. This is my only concern (dun wan to damage the glass len since no filter).

I intend to get both Sigma APO MACRO 150mm F2.8 EX DG HSM and Sigma 12-24 mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM. But just haven't decide on the WA lens yet. Might choose Canon EF-S 17-85mm if really no choice.:dunno:

jeryltan said:

But I'm afraid it is too wide for me and may have distortion problem which i see in some pictures.:think:

Hello brother.. The Canon 10-22mm is famous for being the least distortion of ALL WA Zoom lens.. Do a search, many many many reviews.. Rated the best, even better than the Nikon 12-24mm, which is priced almost 50% more.. There is one pro Nikon photographer who even wish he can use the Canon 10-22mm ;) I don't have the link with me now though..

Try these few reviews 1st..

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-10-22mm-f-3.5-4.5-USM-Lens-Review.aspx
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/Canon-10-22mm-test.shtml
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/ef-s_10-22_review.html

tc811 said:
But I'm afraid it is too wide for me and may have distortion problem which i see in some pictures.:think:

Ok, here you go.. Nikon pro promoting Canon 10-22mm :) Scroll to bottom of page..

http://kenrockwell.com/tech/digital-wide-zooms/comparison.htm

This is one lens I will never sell, unless I get a 5D :)

tc811 said:

jeryltan said:

I second that. :thumbsup:

And it's not like you're gonna pay a hefty premium viz-a-viz the Sigma (e.g. comparing the Nikon equivalent the the Sigma, Tokina or Tamron).

Yah man.. The Nikon 12-24mm cost me $1,550 and the Canon 10-22mm only cost me $1,130 :confused: :lol: Should've gotten the Tokina for me Nikon instead :think:

yyD70S said:
I second that. :thumbsup:

And it's not like you're gonna pay a hefty premium viz-a-viz the Sigma (e.g. comparing the Nikon equivalent the the Sigma, Tokina or Tamron).

jeryltan said:
Yah man.. The Nikon 12-24mm cost me $1,550 and the Canon 10-22mm only cost me $1,130 :confused: :lol: Should've gotten the Tokina for me Nikon instead :think:

But getting a Canon 10-22mm is a bit too wide for me. Ideally I'm looking at 12-24mm onward. I'm using it more for landscape, etc.

Ok.. Just buy whatever you want..

tc811 said:
But getting a Canon 10-22mm is a bit too wide for me. Ideally I'm looking at 12-24mm onward. I'm using it more for landscape, etc.

jeryltan said:
Ok, here you go.. Nikon pro promoting Canon 10-22mm :) Scroll to bottom of page..

http://kenrockwell.com/tech/digital-wide-zooms/comparison.htm

This is one lens I will never sell, unless I get a 5D :)

KRW!! GO GO GO!

he's the main man...!

Mr.Nikon through and through! if he says the CAnon 10-22 is good, u beta go get it, change the mount and fix it on ur Nikon bodies!:thumbsup:

tc811 said:
you are able to use a filter on the sigma 12-24. however, it would be fitted onto the hood and not the lense itself. the hood fits a 82mm filter, iirc.

without the hood on, it still has a fixed petal-type hood which gives some form of protection.

unless ur shooting film, get the tokina instead

Status
Not open for further replies.