Sigma 100-300 samples

Status
Not open for further replies.

kphoto

Jan 29, 2008
Hi all,

Here are my samples of the 100-300 which I recently bought at the Adelphi... Nothing of a pixel peeping test, just some real world images.
I have been very satisfied with it so far, yet a bit on the heavy side. But at least no one is considering you as an amateurish photographer with your Pentax when this lens is mounted :bsmilie:
All images below have been processed in Lightroom, usually with levels and contrast changed.

imgp1976.jpg

300mm, f6.3, 1/400, iso 100. Cropped and some sharpening applied yet.

imgp1987.jpg

300mm, f4.5, 1/100, iso 160. Small crop.

imgp2326.jpg

300mm, f4, 1/80, iso 800.

imgp2449.jpg

100mm, f10, 1/400, iso 100.

Last edited:
I have been very satisfied with it so far, yet a bit on the heavy side. But at least no one is considering you as an amateurish photographer with your Pentax when this lens is mounted :bsmilie:

are you saying that ppl are mocking our pancakes??? :bigeyes:

nice real-world tests, esp the red crab & sunset

show us a picture of the lens mounted on the cam!

imgp2485.jpg

150mm, f4, 1/20, iso 500.

imgp3017p.jpg

280mm, f4, 1/40, iso 400.

imgp3123.jpg

260mm, f7.1, 1/250, iso 100.

imgp3413.jpg

138mm, f4, 1/3200, iso 200.

imgp3502.jpg

250mm, f10, 1/500, iso 100. Cropped.

imgp3821.jpg

300mm, f4, 1/15 (!), iso 800.

imgp3916.jpg

300mm, f5.6, 1/500, iso 100.

In-camera stabilization is definitely great. A few sharp shots at >200mm and 1/15 to 1/50.

All pictures taken with K10D and without tripod.

Great shots,this is a proven lens for sharpness & colour contrast,show us more pic
from this lens bro.;)

I'm more interested in those crabs ;p
Where was this?

kphoto,
No regrets 'someone' pushed you towards it right? ;) Very nice photos.

Fantastic shots, very good candid and compo..:thumbsup:

Darrrr> quite a few people actually told me something like "Pentax... ah so can take good pictures with that too apparently?" after seeing my pictures. They were mostly Canon users but with a limited photography knowledge...
I hope that more advanced photographs know about the quality of Pentax Ltd lenses :)

pinholecam> all pics were taken in Christmas Island last week. Nice place to go yet I could have bought a 50-135 for the price of the flight ticket ;p

sbc> no regret indeed, it is a good choice !

Nice shots from the Sigma 100-300 kphoto.:)

These are nice shots. Well done.

hey kphoto, i like the moon shot! how heavy is your lense?

3698312168_5089396a84_b.jpg

sorry... sidetrack a bit here ...

Gengh, you are right ... the moon was taken from Christmas Island and yet he saw the exact face of the moon. I have confirmed also on the Wiki that we would not be able to see the far end of the moon from Earth due to the gravitational pull of Earth.

Last edited:
Wow...the images are tack sharp! :thumbsup:
Looks like a good "little" lens :)

LancerEX, the lens is a bit heavy, around 1.4-1.5kg. But handling it is easy, and it definitely helps to keep the camera steady! (on the contrary to 50-200 and 55-300 for example).
The face of the moon should indeed be the same everywhere, because the rotation of the moon around its axis has the same period than its rotation around the Earth.

LancerEX, the lens is a bit heavy, around 1.4-1.5kg. But handling it is easy, and it definitely helps to keep the camera steady! (on the contrary to 50-200 and 55-300 for example).
The face of the moon should indeed be the same everywhere, because the rotation of the moon around its axis has the same period than its rotation around the Earth.

thanks for the sharing ... so christmas island is part of australia now, need visa?

nice pictures :thumbsup:

mind sharing what's the price?

Yes, visa required. Australian currency, banks, broadcasting networks etc... but many Singaporean/Malay/Chinese of origin live on the island.

This used lens was bought at 1,280 SGD, while a new one costs around 1300 USD.

Last edited:

Remember the music LP named "The Dark Side of The Moon" by Pink F?

Wow, beautiful shots. Looks like a very nice lens indeed:thumbsup:
A pity it costs SG$2.2k new (special ordered) here :sweat:

Wow, beautiful shots. Looks like a very nice lens indeed:thumbsup:
A pity it costs SG$2.2k new (special ordered) here :sweat:

hi skypacker, i thot you were eyeing one earlier ...

Status
Not open for further replies.